are corn snakes becoming domesticated

are corn snakes becoming domesticated

Postby brixton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:13 pm

ahoy all

I heard a theory recently that corn snakes are becoming domesticated.The theory of it is that due to the fact that several generations of corn snakes have been captive bread they are slowly being domesticated in the same way that centuries ago dogs were taking in by humans and after many years of domestic breading you basically end up with the dog that might be running around your yard right now.Of course your domesticated dog still has wild instinct as so does captive corn snakes.
This is not my theory but it thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone thinks and generate a discussion.

SPEAK YOUR MIND

irie
Brixton
brixton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Masticophis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:22 pm

I think it depends on your definition of domestication. Our inbred animals are different in size and other characters, compared to their ancestors, and one could call that domestication.

Regards

Gilian
Masticophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brixton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks for the reply
Thats an interesting point i am not quiet sure what i mean by domestication....
I think i mean generally they are becoming tamer because they are so many generations that have been captive breed and that now days corns are being breed into morphs in a similiar way in which we find hunderds of different breeds of dogs.
brixton
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hein » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:14 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
According to me corns have being a domestic pet for a while now.
Stress!! confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living cr@p out of some monkey who really needs it.
hein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby damiensharjah » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:02 am

Nope. Dogs and cats have been speciated by selective breeding. No reptiles have suffered that indignity at the hands of man as yet.
damiensharjah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 am

damiensharjah wrote:Nope. Dogs and cats have been speciated by selective breeding. No reptiles have suffered that indignity at the hands of man as yet.

Doesn't the creation of various morphs of corn snakes involve selective breeding though? Take for instance your candy canes - that isn't a morph that just popped up it was created by selectively breeding corns until you get the desired effect of a candy cane? Although thats just selective breeding for appearance and not selective breeding for temperament
Corns : 1.1 Adult Normals het Anery, 0.1 Adult Normal, 1.1 Adult Ghosts (Striped & Aztec), 1.1 Ghost motley het Snow, 1.1 Adult Lavender, 1.1 Adult Opal, 1.1 Adult Amel Motley, 1.1 Bloodreds Het Pewter, Phantom & Hypo; 1.1 Butter; Adult 0.1 Vanishing Stripe; 0.1 Snow. Pythons : 1.1 Ball Pythons
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:04 am

nah, i disagree. It has taken hundreds of thousands of years for dogs to be domesticated. Dogs started to follow early humans (probably right here in Africa) when they realized that they could feed on the scraps and left overs of the humans. The humans appreciated it because at night the dogs would warn the humans of intruding dangers of other animals and tribes. From there it took 1000s of years to even domesticate them properly and breed them, and they were bred and trained for specific purposes where as our breeding is for show only. The most that a snake could be domesticated is, is the same as we have domesticated hamsters. Plus snakes have only being kept for maybe less than 100 years (i may be wrong about that) and corn snakes in SA have only been around for some 30 odd years or so.

But would be great to hear some other peoples opinions as well=)
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

well

Postby Hustler » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:18 pm

well I'd say that they are somewhat tamer but you do still get those that would strike at you the moment you make move towards them and then you get the really docile bunch so i'd say that well no they not becoming domesticated, and when you look at dogs and that they have their own line of pet food like dog chunks and that and with corns you still feed them what they would usually eat in the wild D.O.A.
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)