My Snakes

Postby gnarhimself » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:20 am

Stefan wrote:gnarhimself that secod corn is huge what do you feed him

Hey Stefan,He is huge (Not Obese) :lol:
I feed all my snakes once a week, either on the saturday or sunday (every 7 - 10 days)
Only feed mice to them,i have only stuck to mice /fuzzies/pinkies.

I have stuck to this since they have all been hatchlings.
I dont feed them anything special,they just all seem to grow large
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:18 am

Z3us wrote:The same with Spoon's reverse okeetee; she is also obese. Feeding her 3 pinkies is far too much. But she does have nice colours and gnarhimself's Miami phase is also very nice.

Hi,

I've taken my reverse okeetee to our local reptile vet (as I have done with all my snakes) and he was the one who ultimately suggested I feed her more as she was underweight according to him. What makes you say she is obese? And what makes you say three pinkies is too much? You don't know her length age etc? I'm not attacking you just asking for clarification because if you are correct then I want to make sure I look after my snake as best as possible and therefore change her diet accordingly :)
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:22 am

Spoon wrote:
Z3us wrote:The same with Spoon's reverse okeetee; she is also obese. Feeding her 3 pinkies is far too much. But she does have nice colours and gnarhimself's Miami phase is also very nice.

Hi,

I've taken my reverse okeetee to our local reptile vet (as I have done with all my snakes) and he was the one who ultimately suggested I feed her more as she was underweight according to him. What makes you say she is obese? And what makes you say three pinkies is too much? You don't know her length age etc? I'm not attacking you just asking for clarification because if you are correct then I want to make sure I look after my snake as best as possible and therefore change her diet accordingly :)

100 % in AGREEMENT with Spoon
I have had many reptile vets in my area that he's a big boy,when i asked if they considered him fat the answer was immediately NO.
Generally my Okeetee Phase has always been large
At a year old he was almost as big as a 2 year old...not FAT,just BIG! :!: :D
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:19 am

Generally speaking, when you can see the skin between the scales, the snake is fat.

Now, looking at gnar's okeetee, there is some skin showing. The snake is fairly large though, and snakes that large tend to be less active, but they still eat the same. Skipping a few meals would not do him any harm.

Spoons' reverse okeetee.... I can't see any skin between the scales. Perhaps i'm missing something, but that snake does not seem overweight in the least little bit.

Regarding the reptile vets... To cut a long story short, most vets have no idea what to do when it comes to reptiles. I hope you two found decent vets, but based on my experiences, most vets are sadly lacking in reptile medicines, and would treat them the same as a dog or cat.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby gnarhimself » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:21 am

Thanks for the advice Pinky
:D
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:23 am

Pinky wrote:Generally speaking, when you can see the skin between the scales, the snake is fat.

Now, looking at gnar's okeetee, there is some skin showing. The snake is fairly large though, and snakes that large tend to be less active, but they still eat the same. Skipping a few meals would not do him any harm.

I cant remember but i think he had just had a meal beforew his pictures were taken
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:27 pm

gnarhimself wrote:I cant remember but i think he had just had a meal beforew his pictures were taken

Mine had a meal the day before I took the photos
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Cool
that would possibly explain it then...
:-?
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spoon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Pinky wrote:Spoons' reverse okeetee.... I can't see any skin between the scales. Perhaps i'm missing something, but that snake does not seem overweight in the least little bit.

On her saddles some of the scales have white edgings maybe he was looking at that and thinking the white edging is skin?
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)