Mature corn feeding probelm

Mature corn feeding probelm

Postby shapeshifter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Guys!!

I am new to the site. But Loving it!! My 1ste post is a problematic one.

I have a male corn. He is about 6 years old. My one and only! Had him since he hatched. Never had any problems. He is quite easy to look after. But about a month ago I gave him some jumpers to eat (normally about 5). He prefers them alive. He ate only the one. With the rest he would come closer, almost ready to strike and then turn around and leave. I know with the second jumper I gave him, he struck at it but missed it. I am not sure if he might have hit the side of the enclosure. Left it at that. Over the weekend I bought him some jumpers again. But same thing. I then tried to give him a dead one. But still no luck.

He is very healthy and active. This is the first time some thing like this happened. I am getting worried because he is not eating.

Any advice? :?:
Never argue with an Idiot... He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mature corn feeding probelm

Postby eyed_lizard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 pm

Leave him for about 10 days, just make sure he has enough water and then try again, and just one.
If the problem persists then there could be a problem.

It is not good to feed them the whole time, the need to clean their bowels from time to time otherwise impaction can happen.

If the problem persists try soaking him in a large closed tub in which he can fit easily, not snugly, with about 10mm of warm (not hot) water.

If there is still a problem, take him to the vet.
How often do you feed the snake?
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby rolandslf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi there Shapeshifter.
I have a few questions to try and help solve the problem, depending on your answers.

1) Are you positive that its a male, we are going into natural breeding season at the moment.
2) Is it perhaps going into the blue before shedding.
3) Has anything in his enclosure recently been changed.
4) Has there recently been any big change in temperature or humidity.

This is all I can think of at the moment.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shapeshifter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:28 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

eyed_lizard wrote:Leave him for about 10 days, just make sure he has enough water and then try again, and just one.
If the problem persists then there could be a problem.

It is not good to feed them the whole time, the need to clean their bowels from time to time otherwise impaction can happen.

If the problem persists try soaking him in a large closed tub in which he can fit easily, not snugly, with about 10mm of warm (not hot) water.

If there is still a problem, take him to the vet.
How often do you feed the snake?

I feed him after each shedding, Usually once a month. Sometimes a month and a half apart. I also give him a bath from time to time in warm water. Just in case for mites and parasites.

I will try soaking him this afternoon. Thanks for the advice. :)
Never argue with an Idiot... He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shapeshifter » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:43 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

rolandslf wrote:Hi there Shapeshifter.
I have a few questions to try and help solve the problem, depending on your answers.

1) Are you positive that its a male, we are going into natural breeding season at the moment.
2) Is it perhaps going into the blue before shedding.
3) Has anything in his enclosure recently been changed.
4) Has there recently been any big change in temperature or humidity.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

I am positive it is a male. I got the snake as a gift. The shop owner told me its a female. As "she" got bigger, I started doing research about corn snakes. Now I love them! Anyways, I read that you can see according to the length of the tail from the vent you can see what gender the snake is. I had a look and the tail was very long. Took the snake to vet. Probed and found out it is a male. I thought maybe the breeding season is why he's not eating. He does not have a female companion.

He does not normally get mood changes. And he sheds easily. Goes dull for about 2 days and then sheds.

His enclosure is still the same. Spartan style. And I try to keep the temperature constant. 22 degrees in the one side. 28 degrees in the other. I cant get it higher than that. Humidity is constant on 50%. You know how Durban is. Always humid.He has never had a problem with the temperatures. Even if they are a bit low.

Hope this helps! :)
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:46 am

Shapeshifter, mature males have a tendecy to go off feeding during breeding season so I would not be too worried yet.

Of course there may be a more dubious reason for his hunger-strike, but I don't think so.

I you have not changed anything with your enclosure, do not change anything now.

Also, you might want to feed him a bit more regularly and less food at a time. For an adult Corn I'd say feed him every two to three weeks and feed him only 3 jumpers at a time. A lot of food in one sitting can have some negative effects. Rather spread the five hoppers a month into two feedings.

Do not take Eyed-Lizard's advice of letting him "clean his bowels" (whatever that means) and there's no need to soak if he is not shedding.

Does his cloaca look normal?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby shapeshifter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Westley,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible for the male to miss a female even if he has never had one? Just wondering.

His cloaca looks normal. He is still active and has had bowel movements as well. Gave him a bath after that. This was bout a week ago. Will try to feed him more regularly as advised and will keep you up to date.

Thanks for the advice. :)
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:12 pm

If he's still crapping and looking good, I would not worry.

I think males which have had contact with females are more likely to go on hunger strikes, but it's not impossible for a "bachelor" to do this.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Snakes4Africa » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 am

He is not "missing" a female that he has never had, but males naturally go off their food over breeding season as they have other things on their mind. Keep offering food and when he starts eating again, feed him a little more frequently, as Westley suggests. Letting him swim cannot hurt, as it does help loosen any constipation, if that is the problem.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shapeshifter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm

thanks! I cleaned his enclosure this morning. Good sign. ;) Will try to feed him again today. see what he does.
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:49 pm

shapeshifter wrote:thanks! I cleaned his enclosure this morning. Good sign. ;) Will try to feed him again today. see what he does.

Wat's happened? Is he feeding?
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shapeshifter » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Nope! still nothing has happened...
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:42 pm

If he is still in good condition and seems strong I would not worry just yet.
I had a male corn a couple of years ago who went on a self induced fast for eight and a half months.
I would offer food every two weeks.
One day he just took the food and then he became an eating machine.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shapeshifter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:01 pm

:D :D :D :D :D GREAT NEWS!! He shed over the weekend. And he ate today! Awesome! I just gave him one mouse to eat. When would be the best time to feed him again? The weekend maybe?

Thanks to everybody who replied!
shapeshifter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)