Interesting day:

Interesting day:

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:43 pm

After my classes I went to Cape Gardening Center near Cape Town, and went into pet shop and looked at the snakes, the owner then talked to some guy who said a snake has been spotted in the parking area, walked along, and between 2 pieces of shade net was a little corn snake. The owner believes it was bought by someone and got out of it's container, I got it out from between the shade nets, and gave to the shop owner. And to top that with something a bit off the topic of this thread of the forum, a kid wanted to buy mice for his snake, when asked what snake, he stated a rattle snake, when asked if he has any experience with hots he said no it is his first, and he had no handling course, apparently he think's he does not need it.

Quite an interesting day I would say :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Interesting day:

Postby fuscusV2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:58 pm

How old was he? I hate hearing stuff like this. At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, in my day you had to know someone who knew someone to be able to get a hot unless you caught it locally. These days you can probably pick it up on gumtree... ummm... or here *ducks*

Maybe he meant rat and not rattle... surely... people don't refer to them as rattlers... well not normally... unless you are grossly inexperienced in which case you shouldn't be allowed to keep the things IMO.

I don't personally see why you shouldn't be able to prove credentials with keeping dangerous exotics via previous permits before you are allowed a permit to keep one (yes, I think it should be regulated despite our hopeless gvt departments)
fuscusV2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Looked like he was under 17, I was just visiting, and he just said rattle when asked what snake, but still, quite interesting how easy it can be to buy one now a days. I know where to get cotton mouths if I want to, but I am staying with my corn, might try to go for a tiger (Telescopus) as my first in direction of hots :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ashlea » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm

I am not overly fond of the store at the Cape Garden Centre. Their snakes are seriously overpriced.
Ashlea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Well I think it depends, yes they are extremely expensive, but they have all their morphs at same price so for special morphs you pay a little cheaper. Other wise super pocket emptier :D Though I am going to buy a plant which will cost me R600 soon hehehe. Nepenthes rajah
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slingshot » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 am

Rodwraylva wrote:Though I am going to buy a plant which will cost me R600 soon hehehe. Nepenthes rajah

I didn't even know you can buy the rajah in South Africa! Wow that is one awesome plant. I have some of the more basic carnivorous plants but no Nepenthes.
Slingshot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Well if the Cape authorities have given this kid a permit then that is not our problem. Lets hope it never escapes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Yes lets hope that BV, :D Slingshot, I can get one from a Czech company, works out at R380 including CITES documents and stuff, and all I need then is the tax on import, but I'd rather go with the R600 one :D still, lovely plants. I have 5 Nepenthes at home and a Sarracenia, and a Venus Fly Trap. Awesome plants!
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)