Finally they came out

Finally they came out

Postby Unforgiven » Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 am

Nearly 90 days after the eggs were hatched(for those that remember)

There were 16 eggs. 6 went really bad. 10 were left. On day 86 I decided to make slits. on day 87, one snakey started popping its head out. on day 88, 2 more popped their heads out. on day 89 one made it all the way out the egg.

the other 2 still left with their heads poking out. Another head popped out. At the end of day 89 the first 2 snakeys were out but ambelical chords still attached. Day 90, 3 snakeys roaming around all ambelical chords detached. Later on another snakeys head popped out. Day 91(this morning) I find said snakey slithering around and a new snakey head pop out. So 5 more to go...

and for the pics...

anyone know what morph they would be??

This is what greeted me this morning(sorry for the camera quality) looks to be an albino of sorts as the head is white and the eyes are red

Overall things are looking good, some of the snakes are just taking too long to come out. Theres one really small one, dunno what will become of it. one normal sized one thats very calm. The first one out the egg and the first one to be completely out the egg are healthy looking and very feisty:mrgreen:

More pics to come as more come out and after they shed:-D

Happy that the wait is finally over
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Finally they came out

Postby wadekilian » Mon May 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Those are normals, but if that is an albino then the parents are both het Albino. Which would mean the babies are 66% possible het Albino :-)
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks, but I think the albinos may actually be snows. Cant tell for sure as they arent full out yet.

The mother is an anery silver/ ghost and the father is an oketee. Cant say if they are het for anything
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Chantel will probably be able to explain this better but i think that from silver corns silver, aneries, and snows can all be produced in one clutch. Therefore i think it is possible that because you have silver if they are both het albino adults you could be able to get a snow or two.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scorpion » Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi,

what temperature were you incubating at that it took so long?

if the female is anery/ghost and the father is okeetee, then both the father and mother are het for snow - if you indeed have snow babies, which is what it sounds like.

Next time don't cut the eggs. There is no need to cut corn eggs. Did you see yolk on the inside of the eggs of the ones that have already come out? I suspect the small ones haven't had a chance to absorb all the yolk yet and that is why they are small.
http://www.snakesalive.co.za
doug@snakesalive.co.za
@dougandersonza
http://www.facebook.com/snakesalivesa
Scorpion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue May 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Simply put, if you have an anery x okeetee (normal) then you would only get normal babies which are het for anery.

As mentioned, if your baby is a snow, your anery would be het for amel and your okeetee would be double het for anery and amel.

SO, if the parents are in fact as assumed, you would (rather could) have normals, anerys, amels and snows in one clutch.

From your pictures, all your other babies look normal, and not a variety of babies, so in all likelihood, your "different" baby is only amel.

That would mean that both the parents are het albino.

Corns are so mixed in SA, that you never know what hets you have hiding behind a normal phenotype.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Herald_23 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Congratulations! PM me if or when you decide to sell. I may very well be interested.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scorpion » Tue May 08, 2012 11:44 pm

try take some better pics - those babies should be out now.

Tx
doug@snakesalive.co.za
@dougandersonza
Scorpion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 pm

As mentioned you dont have to cut, you can leave them for over 90 days easily.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Fri May 11, 2012 10:10 am

Herald_23 wrote:Congratulations! PM me if or when you decide to sell. I may very well be interested.

Thanks definitely gonna sell, just gotta get them shedding and eating first

The temps were really hard to control and I think an average of 24 is what they were incubated at. A really hot summer and really cold summer did not make things easy.

Anyway. There are 6 snakes in total. 4 oketee (i think) and 2 snows(i think). The last 2 eggs I cut open last night as I found they were dead. The one was a silver charcoal phase but was deformed(lumo on the head) the other was a snow, good shape so I dont know why it didnt make it.

Gonna get some decent pictures this weekend and put them up. Kinda bummed that only 6 made it from the 16 eggs that started very well. Atleast I learnt a lot for my first time :D and have better equipment this time. So next time the the clutch should be much better.

Of the clucth I will probably keep one of the snows as I was previously wanting a white snake. And in a few years this may add some variety to the gene pool. Planning on getting one more corn to pair up when it comes of age

As to the genetics, I agree, corns in SA are becoming like the braks(dogs) we have in our country. Would have been cool to have gotten an amel, but we will see
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scorpion » Tue May 15, 2012 1:08 am

make yourself a simple incubator from a fishtank or polestyrene box.

make a wire mesh platform.

fill with water to just below platform.

put fishtank heater in water.

Place container with snake eggs on platform.

set temperature so that temperature is 27C in the box that contains the corn snake eggs - test temperature BEFORE you put the eggs in the container.

If incubated in this way, you should have 99% hatch rate. If incubated at 27C they will hatch in 63 days without fail.

:)
doug@snakesalive.co.za
@dougandersonza
Scorpion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 am

Wow I forgot about this thread.

I will take better pics this weekend. All the babies except 3 are sold (Sorry Herald I didnt forget) , the last 1 is going on sunday and 2 I am keeping.

I took them all in to a pet store to get a better opinion when they had shed.

It turned out 1 of the 2 babies I thought were albino was actually a snow and the one is indeed an albino, unfortunately I sold the one which actually was a snow, but it is still good, I mean albinos are still something work with. The 2 I am keeping back is the 1 albino and strangely enough a motley, a very beautiful colour too. I dont know how the motley gene came out, but hey. I started with 16 eggs and through improper conditions lost 7 very early on and the others at birth. going to try again and see what I get this time :D. (this all came from a youngish female which had a broken rib, she has since put on good weight).

The only problem is both the albino and the motley are males, which means I still have only 1 female to breed with.

My plan is to get 2 more females, but I am torn as to what to get. Can anybody supply me with the website of corns that has all the morphs? I had it saved, but my laptop wiped and I lost the bookmark and for the life of me I can't remember what the site was called. Also, if I have a normal okettee, an anery, an albino and a motley, what morphs should I be looking for to make really stunning snakes? In other words what would go well with these as pairs?

As said I will take pics on the weekend ( i have just figured out how to use the close up function on my camera :-D ). The thing I like about the normal okettee, are that as babies you never really know what they will turn out to be. The first born I sold to a newcomer to the herp society and also a close friend and they often bring the snake to me looking for help. It has become very orange. Also another couple who bought 3 up in one go (including the snow) and will also be taking the last one on Sunday are good friends. The 2 okettees they have have turned a light brown and a yellow. The last one with me is turning a light orange.
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)