Corn snake help

Corn snake help

Postby katesmith » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:27 pm

URG! I got the prettiest little silver, striped corn at the expo. One problem, shes a crazy snake! I can't get near her, she bit me when i picked her up the first time, i thought it must have been all the stress of the expo. i gave her a day alone and tried again today, she shakes her tail at me, coils up like she is gonna strike at me, and slithers around like crazy.... im getting scared of her!

Whats wrong with her, what should i do, shes crazy.!
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:38 pm

How old is she??
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Mongoose » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Is it not a gray rat snake?:D:D
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby drummer » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:02 pm

maybe leave her a week to settle.... if she is very young...it should calm down with handling. A bite will really feel like nothing...don't be scared! it is all in the mind.... some periodoc handling should do the trick...let her get used to it....

good luck
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:01 pm

Dont make the mistake of leaving your hand hovering over the snake trying to get at it before it bites. This looks too much like a predator and the snake will not calm down. Approach the snake confidently and quickly without snatching at it.

If it really does not like this then wait a while and try again with thin gloves if you scared of the bite.

Corn snakes will get used to the idea that you mean them no harm. Babies get eaten by a myriad of predators and if it has never been handled before then it is possible that it is nervous.

Dont give up so easily.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby katesmith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:34 am

thanks for all the advice, sorry i haven't been able to get on in a while. im not exactly sure how old she is, she's probable 4-6months old. I also thought maybe shes a rat snake, cause i've never come across a corn like this. But i got her from a reliable source, so im pretty sure shes a corn.
anyway, i've since held her every day, and she's calmed down a little. The first time i handled her she bit and spat at me constantly, she even drew a pin prick of blood... anyway, shes better now, and i think as she gets older, she'll settle down. she's pretty though, so she's worth it!
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby flapjackjoe » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:13 pm

hi there,

I have the same prob. My norm fem corns is doing what I have seen a texas rat snake do......... rattle their tail. My girly is a yearling......

I was once bitten by my albino female burm when she was about 13 months old,
She left me bruised on the back my arm and there was teeth left. It was my mistake though. Lucky she did'nt bite me when she was the monster when I sold her. About 4.5 m After she ate it looked like she swallowed an Alsation
flapjackjoe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:08 pm

My cornsnake also rattled his tail when I got him. He thought he was a cobra too! Vicious little beasty! But he calmed down with enough gentle handling and I can pick him up anytime I like.

He was my first snake and I must admit, I was pretty terrified of him too! heheheh

Just keep at it and handle her gently often, she'll come round! :D
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby katesmith » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:30 am

yeah, i was freaked out about the tail ratteling thing. She's allot better, but she isn't happy about being handled. shes nothing like my albino male, he loves me. I put my hand in the cage and he climbs aboard, so cute.
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)