ID needed for newbie

ID needed for newbie

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 10:46 am

Hi guys I am new to the forum and to snake keeping (sorry if it is called something els) so I got myself a corn snake juvenile and the lps told me it's a blood red but I am not so sure but it is a lil aggressive. Another thing it does is it opens it's mouth and presses it against me without biting any body got any idea why it does that. All help would be greatly appreciated. Picture will be up shortly just need to reduce the size
Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. 
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ID needed for newbie

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 am

Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. 
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 11:40 am

VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Mon May 26, 2014 12:09 pm

I am not one of the most experienced keepers but from the pics it really does not look like a blood red corn. And on the Lil aggressive side corns make great pets and usually calm down every well. But with the mouth opening thing I really have no idea.
Welcome to the forum.
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Thank you very much every bit helps I'm not concerned with its aggressiveness out of the 3 times I handled it, it only tagged me twice so I know it will not stay that way but he has done the open mouth thing every time it's just peculiar as I can not find any thing on the net on this
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Nope thats not a blood red corn.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chantel » Mon May 26, 2014 1:42 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

That's a classic corn (normal). Bloodred corns have diffused sides and no black belly checkers. They also lose most of their patterning as they mature, and become one solid "bloodred" colour.
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Ah I thought so but it's ok I love this snake already does anybody know about this behavior with its open mouth
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ENZO » Mon May 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Howsit VW

I have kept snakes for 20 yrs and still not really clued up with morphs.
It looks pretty normal to me as well as it looks like all the normals I kept. not that it's any less spacial.
Welcome to the world of snake keeping. But be warned. We all started with one snake.

It's addictive.

All the best in your new hobby.
ENZO
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 2:32 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yeah Nero has nipped its way into my heart so to me it's very special I don't know what sex Nero is yet still trying to figure that out but thank you again for all the help and welcomes
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Mon May 26, 2014 2:55 pm

The only time I've experienced a snake opening it's mouth on my hand is when the snake decides that your hand is a mouse and attempts to try it out. Sometimes they rub their nose up and down a little bit, and then gently open as if to test to see if it's worth trying to swallow (this often happens if you've been handling rodents, or possibly even if the snake associates you with the smell of his food :))
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 pm

Maybe I just smell yummy because I have been nowhere near any rodents when I handled him(I think it's a him) maybe I should try to capture this on video to better show what happens
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon May 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Does it make an S-shape when it open its mouth like in the picture below. If it is then its just the typical rat snake defense a few of mine do it.
However I have not seen corn snakes do it but they are rat snakes so it is still possible
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VW salesmen » Mon May 26, 2014 3:56 pm

No not at all this happens when it's calmed down in my hand it presses it's snout against my hand and just opens it's mouth
VW salesmen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Then its as Chantel said, a feeding response it thinks you are food.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)