Finally Getting My First

Re: Finally Getting My First

Postby Westley Price » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:31 am

Lekker man, he looks good and healthy.

Those Legos are really a good idea. I will keep that for future use.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 am

Westley Price wrote:Lekker man, he looks good and healthy.

Those Legos are really a good idea. I will keep that for future use.

Thanks Westley. I was in a tight spot for cash so I decided that instead of buying a few bowls and chucking them away eventually I'll just use what I've got and then when Pop grows I can just disassemble and make a bigger one. It also makes it easier to build climbing structures and little tunnels for him. A world of possibilities and if it's safe for kids I'm pretty sure it's safe for snakes too ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:26 pm

Haha, very cool. I'm glad you are enjoying him.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 am

predator678 wrote:Haha, very cool. I'm glad you are enjoying him.

Thanks matey ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 am

Update after week two:

Pop has been really great this past week. He's been very calm when being handled and has been down right cute when he's out. He was a little skittish the first few times I picked him up but as soon as he's out of the cage he calms down, checks out his surroundings and starts exploring.

He had his second meal last night. And took the pinkie with absolutely no problems. A very strong feeding response last night and held on to it really tight before starting to eat it. He had a blonde (or butter :smt017 ) moment though, as he tried to get to the head which was right up against a hide, but he figured it out. Here are some pics I took this week... Look at the awesome colours in the first pic

"I love curling around fingers"

"Look at my blurry face! LOOK AT IT!"

"Meh. Boring iPhone"
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Haha really good to see people LOVING their reptiles.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:38 am

predator678 wrote:Haha really good to see people LOVING their reptiles.

You can say that again :lol:

I took him out again last night, 48 hours after his last meal. His eyes are looking a little paler than usual so I took a pic to show it. I might be mistaken by my colourblindness :smt017

I was looking at his stomach area and it look a little bit discoloured. Am I seeing stuff?

I did see a little bit of a bump so I'm wondering whether he hadn't fully digested yet. I checked this morning and he had gone in the corner of the cage and there's no regurge so I'm assuming everything is okay?
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:00 am

yeah his eyes are a little milky. It means that he is going to shed soon
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:03 am

JJward7 wrote:yeah his eyes are a little milky. It means that he is going to shed soon

I thought as much. I just wanted to make sure. Thank JJ ;)
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JJward7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 am

Not a problem at all that is why there is a forum like this.
Very nice looking snake. Please update us after the shed as the colors will be more vibrant after he sheds
Every good story seems to begin with a snake.
JJward7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:11 am

JJward7 wrote:Not a problem at all that is why there is a forum like this.
Very nice looking snake. Please update us after the shed as the colors will be more vibrant after he sheds

Thanks bud ;)

Judging by the amount of pictures of the little guy's progress over the last two weeks, I can assure you there will be pics galore :-D

I'm on quite a few car forums, and none of them are anything like this one. Yeah maybe this one is not as active, but the quality of the posts are unmatched. This forum is awesome :smt038
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper1350 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Right. Another update:

I got home on Thursday after work to find.... Pop's shed :smt005 I didn't manage to catch some pics of the little guy as I had to deal with my parents' car breaking down AGAIN :roll:

On Saturday afternoon, yet again having to find my parents broken down next to the road and having to tow them home, I went to check on pop (very discreetly) and everything seemed fine. I cleaned some poop and gave him fresh water and went back to spending my weekend at the gf's place.

I got home yesterday evening to find an unexpected uhhh 'gift'. He's regurged half of his previous meal. Yes, half. I cleaned his entire cage, with him sitting completely still in the middle of my bed. Checked him out a bit and couldn't see any darker spots around his stomach area so I think it's all good for now.

I put him back in his cage, after numerous attempts to tag me, and took out a very small pinkie to thaw.

About an hour later, pinkie warmed up a little on the heat mat, wiggled it in front of the hot hide he's hiding in and he jumped at it with no argument. But he didn't constrict it like he usually does :smt017

His temps have been very good, lowest is 27 during the night and running up to just under 34 during hot days.

His shed came off perfectly so I'm assuming humidity is acceptable.

Anyway, here's some pics of the little guy. Feel free to give suggestions about what I did wrong to make him regurge ;)

Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:51 am

Hi Viper

Its never a good idea to feed snakes when you notice that they are about to shed. Often they will accept the food, but it makes it a tad harder for them to shed and could lead to some issues, like regurgitating.

Have you handled it a lot since feeding it? Handling too soon after feeding will also result in a smelly gift a few days later.

Did he eat the warmed up pink? Often when snakes start getting used to their surrounds and used to feeding of F/T, they stop constricting and simply take the prey item straight into their mouths; nothing to worry about.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper1350 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:58 am

Westley Price wrote:Hi Viper

Its never a good idea to feed snakes when you notice that they are about to shed. Often they will accept the food, but it makes it a tad harder for them to shed and could lead to some issues, like regurgitating.

Have you handled it a lot since feeding it? Handling too soon after feeding will also result in a smelly gift a few days later.

Did he eat the warmed up pink? Often when snakes start getting used to their surrounds and used to feeding of F/T, they stop constricting and simply take the prey item straight into their mouths; nothing to worry about.

I fed him last Sunday evening, and saw the milky eyes on the Tuesday evening. I wait the 48 hours after feeding like I've read everywhere. I did notice he's a little plump so I only had him out for about 2 mins.

He did take the warmed up pink with no issues this Sunday evening. I was just a little bleak that he didn't attack it like he usually does. It makes feeding time a tad little less awesome, but if it's because he's a happy chap, then I don't mind at all :-P
Viper1350
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Not sure if i misread but generally if a snake has regurgitated a meal it is best to wait about 10 days before feeding again.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)