Incubation time

Incubation time

Postby Mari83 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:54 am

Hi there.

Hope some one can give me some advice? This is the second year my female has laid a clutch, but the first year we decided to incubate. From the original 9 eggs only 4 stayed viable and have now been cosy for 55 days. When they are candled you are able to see veins as well as a darker outline within the eggs. Should I be expecting these to be hatching soon or is it possible for them to still take longer? The eggs are pretty healthy looking and I'm hopeful to have all 4 hatch...

Any advice will be appreciated.
Mari83
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Incubation time

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Mari

How are you incubating the eggs? Usually when incubate in an incubator at a constant 27-28 degrees they hatch within 60 days, but if incubated at room temp they could take up to 70 days.

If the eggs still look plump and healthy I would not worry too much., Patience is a virtue ;)

Good luck.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rolandslf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

This season I had a clutch, which I just put in a tub with vermiculite, and placed on top of my rack, hatch at day 84.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mari83 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:49 pm

Been incubating in a tub with vermiculite, 27-28 degrees. Using a digital thermometer and hygrometer inside the tub to monitor the eggs. They are nice and plump. Thanks for the feedback I'm so excited to see them hatch...
Mari83
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:38 am

I would also urge you to not fiddle with the eggs. Just a slight turn at this stage of incubation could be detrimental.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)