Lost Corn Snake

Lost Corn Snake

Postby Dexter » Tue May 31, 2016 6:27 pm

Hi, I just found out that my baby corn snake escaped and was wondering what are the best methods to find it and how long can it last without food. Very worried. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Dexter
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Lost Corn Snake

Postby Mehelya » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:33 pm

Snakes often escape their enclosures, and hug closely to any vertical surfaces like along the base of walls etc. Depending on where your enclosure is situated (also rack or individual enclosure), try looking around and even under it. If it is in your room, you're going to have to do quite a bit of re-arranging and disassembly. Snakes can squeeze into insanely tight spaces, and it can be anywhere from under the enclosure/tub, even in another tub in a different part of the same rack, to in the back of a sock drawer at the top of your chest of drawers (you may have to go through every single piece of clothing individually as well if that is the case)...

Meticulously go through everything from one side to the other of the room, checking every single nook and cranny. If there is even a small gap around your door (especially the base), you're going to have to extend your search to other rooms around it, and go through every little box, cupboard, drawer and item that you have. If you look at something and think "No, he couldn't get up/in there...", check it anyway, you will be surprised where a snake can get to/in, especially a small one...

All the best with your busy evening ahead, and hope you find the little Houdini.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpcrazy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Dexter

I had a few escaped snakes in my life. Finding it is difficult. The best success I had is going through the house at night with a torch. Seeing that most snakes come out at night, just leave the lights off and pass through the house once or twice a night.
If the reptile bug bite, it never lets go!!!!
herpcrazy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dexter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks for all the advise, luckily I found it two days after I lost was hiding in a few books in a book shelf. Found it when it flashed its head out the books to see what was disturbing it. Not sure how it got out as the only escape route was a 5mm gap in between the glass but moved it to a new location until it gets bigger.
Dexter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)