Prolapse

Prolapse

Postby gary57 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:57 pm

What would cause a prolapse in corn snakes?? I have kept corns for 8 years or so and now I have had 2 snakes within 3 month Prolapse. I am not doing anything different.
gary57
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 am

Gary a prolapse can occur when the snakes are slightly dehydrated or can also be a weak gene. I have had prolapses from certain bloodlines which I eventually stopped breeding with.

I have seen prolapses occur due to improper sexing. This can be probing with too large a probe or continuous pop sexing using too much pressure or everting the hemipenes for too long a period of time.

Make sure the snakes always have enough water to drink and the heat is adequate.

It is almost impossible to predict when (or even why) a prolapse happens.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mm069 » Wed May 02, 2007 1:32 pm

BV, what is prolapse?
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 02, 2007 4:08 pm

A prolapse is when a part of the body is no longer held in place by the muscles surrounding it. This is usually the hemipenes that "fall out" and stay there.

It is also possible to have the intestines, oviduct or in mammals the uterus to "fall out" and this has to be replaced before it gets infused with blood, engorged and cannot be placed back.

Often the blood supply gets cuts cut off too and this causes that part of the organ to die which is usually fatal. If it is a hemipene sometimes it is better to amputate the hemipene if it has turned blue or blackish. It will probably not be functional so it is not a great loss as they can use the other side next time.

The first aid treatment is usually to soak the offending organ in sugar water and this can help the contaction. Softeneing the tissue with glycerine or KY can help it you are going to try inverting the hemipenes or intestines.

Just make sure which way they go. I saw a vet try to put the hemipene back into the body cavity instead of the tail.

Usually the cloaca gets a stitch in it which keeps the hemipene or intestine there for a week or so to help prevent another prolapse.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mm069 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:18 pm

thats really horrible, i'm sure that it's painfull too. Thanks BV!
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Fri May 04, 2007 9:35 am

We once had a Albino Motley Corn Adult Male.

When we put him with the female he went ballestic and started to mate striat away. After they mated only the one "penis" of the hemipenis went back the other one stayed outside. After 2 days it still were outside, a vet student came and helped us. We tried the sugarwater everything it still didnt want to go back.

So we decided to put a piece of string around it and after a few days it fell off. Now we thought it was sterile so we put him with a female and they mated.

The female laid 8 eggs and after about 60 days there were 8 baby cornsnakes.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)