Elaphe guttata -Cornsnake

Elaphe guttata -Cornsnake

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:48 am

Any information to assist get Cornsnakes off the list, please post it here.

Bare in mind, these are one of the most common pets kept in captivity throughout the world.

Citation from 'the list':
At least 2 subspecies recognized. Inhabits diverse habitats from wooded
groves, rocky hillsides, meadowlands along water courses, around springs,
woodlots, banyards and abandoned houses from sea level to 1900 m asl
throughout South East USA and West and South to Texas and adjacent
Mexico. Taxon originates from relatively similar climatic zone and general
habitats than found in SA. Not known invader elsewhere but potential
reproductive and niche competitor to SA Colubridae (several members)
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby froot » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:46 pm

How long have cornsnakes been in the pet trade, and where?
Has there been any cases of them being invasive?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Stefan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:49 pm

im going to get people to sign a petion will it work.are we still aloud to keep corns and our herps.whats going on
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby piscivorous » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 pm

Elaphe guttata
(corn snake)

· Information
· Pictures
· Classification

2005/10/07 22:43:07.366 GMT-4
By Karen Resmer
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Suborder: Serpentes
Family: Colubridae
Genus: Elaphe
Species: Elaphe guttata
Find in TaxonTree [Help]
Geographic Range
Corn snakes may be found in the eastern United States from southern New Jersey south through Florida, west into Louisiana and parts of Kentucky. However, corn snakes are most abundant in Florida and the southeastern U.S.
Biogeographic Regions:
nearctic (native ).
Habitat
Corn snakes may be found in wooded groves, rocky hillsides, meadowlands, woodlots, barns, and abandoned buildings.
Terrestrial Biomes:
savanna or grassland ; forest .
Physical Description
Corn snakes are slender with a length of 61-182 cm. They are usually orange or brownish-yellow, with large, black-edged red blotches down the middle of the back. On the belly there are alternating rows of black and white marks, resembling a checkerboard pattern. Considerable variation occurs in the coloration and patterns of individual snakes, depending on the age of the snake and the region of the country in which it is found. Hatchlings lack much of the bright coloration found on adults.
Some key physical features:
ectothermic ; bilateral symmetry .
Reproduction
The breeding season of corn snakes is from March to May. The snakes are oviparous, depositing a clutch of 10 to 30 eggs in late May to July. Eggs are laid in rotting stumps, piles of decaying vegetation or other similar locations where there is sufficient heat and humidity to incubate them. The eggs are not cared for by the adult snakes. Once laid, the gestation period of the eggs is 60-65 days at approximately 82 degrees F. The eggs then hatch sometime in July through September. Hatchlings are 25-38 cm long and mature in 18-36 months.
Key reproductive features:
gonochoric/gonochoristic/dioecious (sexes separate).
Behavior
Corn snakes are primarily nocturnal, but are often active in early evening. They readily climb trees and enter abandoned buildings in search of prey. However, they are very secretive and spend most of their time underground prowling through rodent burrows. They also often hide under loose bark and beneath logs, rocks, and other debris during the day. Not much is known about the reproductive behaviors of corn snakes.
Key behaviors:
motile .
Food Habits
Corn snakes do not usually feed every day. They generally feed every few days or so. Young hatchlings tend to feed on lizards and tree frogs, while adult feed on larger prey, such as mice, rats, birds, and bats. They are constrictors, meaning they will use their coils to suffocate their food before eating it. First a corn snake will bite the prey in order to obtain a firm grip, then it quickly wraps one or more coils of its body around the victim. The snake squeezes tightly until it suffocates the prey. Then it swallows the food whole, usually head first. However, corn snakes have also been observed swallowing small prey alive.
Economic Importance for Humans: Positive
Corn snakes help to control rodent populations that may otherwise spread disease. They are also widely popular as pets. They are the most frequently bred snake species for pet purposes.
Conservation Status
Corn snakes are often mistaken for copperheads and sometimes killed because of this. Also, because of their docile temperament, they are often kept as pets. Sometimes they are captured in the wild to be sold as pets. However, there are many snake breeders, so wild capturing does not pose a serious threat to this species. Corn snakes are not an endangered species. However, they are listed by the state of Florida as a Species of Special Concern because they face habitat loss and destruction in the lower Florida Keys.
Other Comments
Corn snakes are also known as Red Rat Snakes. Corn snakes are a nonvenomous species.
The life span of the snakes is up to 23 years in captivity, but is generally much less in the wild.
The name corn snake is believed to have originated from the similarity of the markings on the belly to the checkered pattern of kernels of Indian corn.
piscivorous
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wickets » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:45 pm

I wonder how long will anyone of the lighter coloured morphs last in the wild? Probably less than 24 Hrs for an albino or snow. Blizzard? Only minutes if I see it first.
wickets
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fish » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:53 pm

Corn snakes have been kept and domestically bred in Cape Town since the 1930's and no where is there any evidence at all that they have established themselves in nature , nor are there any reports of them being found outside of captivity , and that goes for any of the snakes on their 'EXPERTS" listing . Corn snakes have not been reported as invasive anywhere in the world .
fish
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:38 pm

I have a couple of corns of my own and will not part with them no matter what the experts say. I must admit to have caught a number of them from call outs.
I personally do not believe these animals would be able to breed without a controlled environment but the Green Iguana has even less chance and look what’s happening there?
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby neko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:13 am

Snakes Incorporated wrote: I personally do not believe these animals would be able to breed without a controlled environment but the Green Iguana has even less chance and look what’s happening there?

Where are you referring to? I know Green iguanas breed well in Florida, but I haven't heard of them breeding anywhere else like they would in the wild.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Snakes Incorporated » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:39 am

According to Bart (“expert”) these Iguanas can survive and breed in the western Cape. I am not sure what species of Cape fynbos would be equivalent to tropical flora and how the lack of high humidity will help but there you are.
O`yes, no proof or past occurrences is needed but the words “what if” is enough. :roll:
Don’t kill it, if you are not planning to eat it.
Snakes Incorporated
This member has been banned

Postby neko » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 am

OK. But you said look what's happening there.... I wanted to know what you are referring to.

O`yes, no proof or past occurrences is needed but the words “what if” is enough

I disagree with you. The guidelines clearly stated that to classify a species as invasive, they required an expert opinion from SA, and elsewhere, as well as examples from SA and elsewhere.

There is only one example of these animals as invasives, (in a sub-tropical climate), and there were almost no experts on the panel that set up this list in SA.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko

Postby Gabi » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:05 am

As far as what I know/have heard is although the Green Iguana is breeding in Florida it isn't a huge problem. The numbers stay controlled. Once a year they breed and the number increases but they're not causing a threat or trouble. Correct me if I'm wrong please these are only facts I heard.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:14 am

You know what is ironic, despite the fact that Iguanas are "invassive" in Florida, they are still allowed to import thousands every year. Doesn't make sense now does it.

The Iguanas weren't brought there by humans, they actually ended up in Florida due to hurricane Andrew. People are not to blame, so why should people get punished??

I would love to see Iguanas in the wild. I think they are awesome animals, although I would not like to keep any at the moment.
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Solo777 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:03 am

Bushbaby wrote:The Iguanas weren't brought there by humans, they actually ended up in Florida due to hurricane Andrew.

The story I heard was that Hurricane Andrew smashed through several reptile farms and that's where the iguanas come from.

But there are always three sides to a story; your side, my side and the truth.
Solomzi

"When you're up to your neck in alligators, today is the first day of the rest of your life." Archchancellor Ridcully, Unseen University, Ankh-Morpork
Solo777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:05 am

Solo777 wrote:
Bushbaby wrote:The Iguanas weren't brought there by humans, they actually ended up in Florida due to hurricane Andrew.

The story I heard was that Hurricane Andrew smashed through several reptile farms and that's where the iguanas come from.

But there are always three sides to a story; your side, my side and the truth.

Well, that is the truth solo. The truth, my side and your side. lol
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Bushviper » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:35 pm

The iguanas were brought to Florida by humans but were not released by humans.

That was done when hurricane Andrew blew down holding facilities where hundreds of thousands of iguanas were being kept.

Now that is the truth.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)