Red Motley

Postby Marbro » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Serpy wrote:don't feed her in her enclosure! take her out of her enclosure and feed her in a container. if you keep feeding her or any other snake for that matter in their enclosure they'll associate you opening their enclosure and putting in a hand with feeding time.

also never thought about it that way,

i havent had any trouble what so ever in this regard, am i just lucky? am i just waiting to be snake food?
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:37 pm

LoL
Don't think you have to worry, my bigger male does not seem to mind if i poke my hands in his enclosure.
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Marbro trust me it happens, this method is usually used with bigger constrictors but should be used with any snake, i had a burmese that one day decided that my hand looked alot like a rabbit and trust me it hurt alot and could've been avoided. i use this method alot as i mainly have venomous snakes so it's that extra bit of safety especially if i've got to work with them often.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:22 pm

NEWB you may just have a very calm snake, i've got some 2 meter taiwanese rat snakes that go crazy when i open the enclosure because the previous owner fed live rats to them inside there enclosures. it happens and sooner or later it may just happen to you. luckily corns are generally really laid back.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marbro » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 am

ok well currently im feeding her frozen(thawed out) rats.

so she goes and gets it within like 5-10 minutes of it being in the cage, no rush for her i think
Marbro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 am

I feed most of mine in their cages and have never had any problems before BUT I usually take the snake out first and then put the mouse in, they never see the mouse in my hand, it's just there when they are put back into their cages.

Still, better to be over-cautious than over confident I think! lol
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gary » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:40 am

I have spotted why he/she is biting you. Dont hold her around the neck, they dont like that all.
Regards
Gary
You CAN do it.
Gary
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:29 am

mmmmmm
The pics are not very clear regarding the "red" motley,from the looks of the first picture I would even go as far as to say it might be a hypo motley,there's a very serious reduction of melanin (could just be the pictures),and so therefore - Hypo motley in my opinion.
The Silver Motley is awesome,would it at all be possible for new pictures??

:(
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:34 am

hey peeps,

Gary, I only held the head because of movement I never restrain my snakes, they move freely as they wish. My bubble gum corn baby used to go park off on my head while I was watching TV. hehehe

gnarhimself, my digital camera's batteries are charged so I'll take some nice pics this weekend. My silver Motley shed yesterday so he is stunning!

Irock, that is a brilliant idea, will give that a try and see what happens?
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:14 am

NEWB wrote:gnarhimself, my digital camera's batteries are charged so I'll take some nice pics this weekend. My silver Motley shed yesterday so he is stunning!

Sweet,not a problem at all,post them when you can :-)
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:19 am

NEWB wrote:Irock, that is a brilliant idea, will give that a try and see what happens?

Meg is quite right in what she does,some people even remove the snake,and feed their critters in seperate cages.What Meg is doing IS by far one of the best ways,the reasoning behind this is that if you keep putting a mouse into the snakes cage,it basically could "condition" the snake into thinking every time a hand is in the cage,there's food,and then generally they keep "tagging" you.

Good on you Meg!!!
:D
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

:lol: Thanks
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:01 pm

hey, thought I'd post some more pics of my silver motley

my baby girl is about to shed so I'll post some more pics of her once she has has shed.

hope you like!

NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:27 am

Very pretty Anery motley you have there! I love the yellows they get on their sides! :)
~Meg~

Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:39 pm

Thanks!! I cannot believe he was the mongrel of the clutch. He looked rally bad, he was so neglected when we bought him. He turned out to be a real looker
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)