Red Motley

Red Motley

Postby NEWB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:11 am

Hey,

I bought a young red motley female last weekend. She's about 45 - 50 cm long. She is on large pinky's now.

The problem is, she is very aggressive!! I know small corns are a bit touchy, but she is like a little pit bull!!

Yesterday I took her out and as she moved up my arm she poked her snout against my arm and bit me!!! like she trying to eat my arm!!!!!

What do you think? I fed her on sunday, so I don't think she is hungry and I didn't touch any mice.

Should I just handle her more or what?
:-?
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Telgalad » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:35 am

How often do you handle her?
Telgalad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:24 am

I try and handle her every second day or so, but I'm scared she might get injured if she were to strike at me and I jerk away?
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:44 pm

handle her everyday, it's not easy but try getting used to her biting if you expect her to bite you won't jerk away as easily, but as i say easier said than done, another thing do you feed her inside her enclosure?
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:00 am

Yes, I don't even want to know how grumpy she will be if I have to handle her after dinner!!!!!!

Thanks, I'll try as you said easier said than done
:lol:
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gary » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:37 am

Remember to give her a day or two grace after eating as she could regurge. The bite is not so bad if she does bite.
Regards
Gary
You CAN do it.
Gary
SA Reptiles Member

Postby NEWB » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:41 am

Could it possibly be husbandry issues?
NEWB
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gary » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:01 pm

Newb i dont think so, I have got some babies from last year and they think they are cape cobras. I just let them bite away as I said it is not sore at all feels like vulcro.
Regards
Gary
You CAN do it.
Gary
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:05 pm

don't feed her in her enclosure! take her out of her enclosure and feed her in a container. if you keep feeding her or any other snake for that matter in their enclosure they'll associate you opening their enclosure and putting in a hand with feeding time.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Oliver Twisted » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Isues, isues jees that snake has more of them, she is extremely agresive for a corn! But I also agree, he should try and handle her more if he can, and maybe I could come and take some pics of that :twisted:
Just an Idea use it or don't. Hey dude that pinky got speuuud out by chessie this morning. wtf Belle gave me good advice. Later!
p.s whatch out for mini pancakes, they make ya hungry! LOL
Oliver Twisted
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:31 pm

I agree fully with what Serpy is saying about feeding inside the enclosure. Be sure to find a suitable container to feed her in and try to always use that container for feeding. She will then associate the container with food. I knew someone once who fed his red tail boa outside the cage on his bed (bad idea). The snake started to associate the bed and anything around it that moved with food when it was outside of the cage.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Irock » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Corn youngsters and corns that haven't been handled much can be extremely aggressive. Best to just "ride it out" and keep handling her until she stops. I have one who's been handled alot since I got him two years ago and he's still as mean as sin. He's exceptionally grumpy for a corn though.

PS: What is a "red motley"? I know some people call normal/wild type corn "red corns" (I'm assuming its due to confusion with their other name "red rat snake"), or is yours an amelanistic? (Albino)

I know what a motley is...lol
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Irock, if you know what a mottley is, then just think of one that is red. he he he.

Post us a pic, then no one will have to wonder what it looks like.
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Irock » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:53 pm

lol The problem is that there are so many that look red or reddish! lol

A pic would be a great help, I could tell you immediately what it is! lol
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:54 pm

My guess is that it's either a normal, amel or hypo motley...

I highly doubt that it's a blood motley or something along those lines! lol
~Meg~

Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)