New corn snake - pics

New corn snake - pics

Postby Taryn7 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Hey guys

Well - I know pretty much everything there is to know about looking after beardies but today I got an albino corn snake and I know absolutely squat about them :D We have ball pythons and a boa so I'm not completely stupid but does anyone have any tips or advice on how best to care for her? I got some general advice from the pet shop where I got her. Unfortunately I cant handle her much for the next couple days because she had just eaten. I've called her Mia and heres a couple pics..

Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Telgalad » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:26 pm

Very pretty, My first snake was a albino corn snake.
Telgalad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby funkybluemonkey » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:28 am

Very pretty snake, but keeping it on corn cob is a bad idea.
funkybluemonkey
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kristo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 am

Korn kob works for us and many other people I know....Why do you say that?
"The prey equals in importance to the preditor and the preditor to that of the prey!"
Kristo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby funkybluemonkey » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:41 pm

I've seen more than one post where ppl had problems with corn cob. It dries out the air thereby causing shed problems. Also corn cob can rot and harbour bacteria. There was a post on sareptiles recently regarding this. I have a snake who was kept on corn cob by the previous owners, it couldn't shed properly, and that caused a build up of old skin on it's face and in it's nose. I removed it from the corn cob and a month later it had a full shed, it is now completely healthy. There are also several posts on using corncob on www.cornsnakes.com. It also says so on alot of care sheets. check this one,

http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymountain/ ... page11.htm

I guess, it's your preference though. :)
funkybluemonkey
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:42 pm

Corn cob is not recommended for corn snakes, mostly due to the risk of being ingested which can be fatal.

Very pretty little amel though!! :D
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby katesmith » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:47 pm

mine are on corn cob, no problems so far, except i find it a pain to clean....
katesmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kristo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:59 pm

I replace once every two weeks or when ever necesary?
Havnt had any problems but I see where you coming from??
"The prey equals in importance to the preditor and the preditor to that of the prey!"
Kristo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:12 pm

The pet shop I got her from has all of theirs on korn kob.. I feed her in a seperate container so ingesting some is not an issue. I know pet shop info is often wrong though.. I'll give it a try and if it causes problems - I'll change. What do you think of bark chips?
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:08 pm

Corns are super super easy to keep, you can put it on bark chips I guess, If you really wanna make an interesting enclosure do some habitat reasearch first.

Take it off the korn kob,not good stuff. If all else fails just use the old faithful... Newspaper.

Temps around the 28 side should be just fine for the corn, theyreally need no special care at all.

Very nice snake by the way, PM me if you want a mate, we breed all the nice corn morphs! :)
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)