Morph or normal??

Morph or normal??

Postby Taryn7 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:50 pm

I really wanted to get a Miami corn snake because they look so great as adults so we stopped off in Durbs on our way to Margate last week to check things out.. I was told all the miamis' were mixed in with the normals so I could get him at the price of a normal. I was also told that they had some aztec in them as well. Here is the little guy I chose but I have been told by others that he is not miami at all :-? What do you guys think??

Here he is after a good meal. I don't mind if he is just a normal but I REALLY wanted a Miami!!

Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:57 pm

I've got a miami, I think that you can comfortably say that that is one!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Oh thats great!! I put him an overseas site for corn snakes and 4 people immediately said he wasn't a Miami. Maybe they have a different type of Miami to us?
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:10 pm

I did a bit of research and I dont think that yours or mine are Miamis, oh well, yours is adorable!

This is a Miami
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:40 pm

Maybe he'll change as he grows? Hey - I'm hoping!
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:22 pm

Miami cornsnakes are a touchy subject. Not all the corn snakes in Miami are grey with dark saddles. This is one of those man made judgements. If you look on 10 American websites you will see 10 different variations of "Miamis".

To me a Miami has normal coloured markings on a gray background. It is difficult to tell with a baby. They should also be sold at the same price as a "normal" because they are not that different.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Taryn7 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:47 pm

So by your description - at the moment he could be a Miami?
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Thats not a miami, i'm almost 100% sure, but give it some time to develop adult colours just to be totally sure.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sly » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:49 pm

All corns only develop true colour maturing from between six and eight months. Most corn start only showing yellow in the neck region after a year. Even orange motleys are almost identical to normals at birth give and through their adolencent stages, give it some time to develop.
Sly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:40 am

In my opinion that is DEFINITELY NOT a miami!
Miamis are clearly reckogniseable even from when they have just hatched...

He looks like a really pretty normal to me. :)
Gorgeous snakeling! Congrats on your new baby! :)
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:44 am

As BV said, miamis are a touchy subject, as are Okeetees in my opinion...

I have seen so so many normals being sold as "okeetees" and "Miamis" when they are clearly not...

The same with normal amels being sold as "candy canes" and "Reverse Okeetees".

If you want a real miami, I would suggest contacting Chantel, she has some BEAUTIFUL imported miamis and I know she will have babies early next year...

I am sure there are other breeders that will have them too! lol
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi Taryn

That is a stunning corn, but certainly not a Miami. You'll probably find that somewhere along the line a Miami phase was bred to a normal, and produced these offspring. Miamis are dark when they hatch, and normally have no background colour (in fact they look very much like anery's when they hatch). Of course, as BV and Irock said, these are very variable in appearance, but I think it's safe to say that when I person refers to a Miami, they are referring to red saddles against a silver ground colour. Your baby has far too much colour to be a "classic" miami, but he is nonetheless a STUNNING snake - no doubt about that!
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Thanks for your comments and opinions. I'm ok with him being a normal - I can't wait for him to grow so I can see how he changes. I have alittle Amel girl too (at least she CAN"T be a normal!! :lol: ). I think I will hold out on getting any more for now - I have my hand full. I would love to have a range someday though
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jackspirko » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:42 am

Well here is a classic Miami Corn,

http://cornsnakes.net/gallery.php?catid=2&id=18

Is yours one? Very subjective but I would not be comfortable saying it wasn't. Miami in the corn world is like saying South Florida locality snake. You could very well find a very similar pattern just about anywhere. There is no hard and fast rule for exactly what a true Miami looks like and you could find something like you have there 300 miles north or west and you could also find a very "classic" looking snake in south Florida. It is just that gray back ground and nice red almost king snake looking saddle pattern in common in that region.

But it isn't like Anery A, Amel, Hypo or Lavender. It isn't a recessive or dominant trait just a somewhat regional patter and color scheme. Sort of like your Transvaal Phase House Snake. You might very well find a very tan and subdued House Snake far from Transvaal just most of the ones there have that look. Make sense.

The other thing is your snake will change a lot in color in the next six months. You will be better able to make the call in a few months as the reds, oranges and blacks come up,
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jackspirko » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:48 am

One more thing, I would not call that snake leos posted a Miami at all, that looks more like what the trade calls a "milk phase" which is a selectively bred hypo miami line or even perhaps just a crimson, which would be a hypo miami

http://www.reptileallsorts.com/cornphase/win19.html
Jack Spirko

Check out "the site" on the
African House Snake - and get a free copy of "The Reptile Book", by Raymond L. Ditmars.
jackspirko
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)