Where do corn snakes come from?

Where do corn snakes come from?

Postby BushSnake » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 am

I never thought I'd post in this category since I am only really interested in indigenous reptiles and I don't really keep snakes. But having seen all these pictures of corn snakes, milk snakes and who knows what else, I was wondering:

How many natural forms (morphs) are there of corn snakes? There seems to be an endless amount of captive ones. Are there any brightly marked natural forms and if so, do they mimic other venomous snakes? Also, do albinos survive in the wild? I would rate them as freaks that will dissapear down a predators throat the first time they stick their head out of a hole, but has older large albinos been recorded in the wild?
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Anco » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:39 am

Hey there. Firstly, well done on going indigenous. I think that from a conservation standpoint, the more people interested in local snakes, the better.

Technically all morphs of corn snakes are natural although the pet trade has manipulated them quite a lot where the genes would not usually cross in nature and would take a lot longer to get the morphs out there.

Also, snakes like Albinos etc. do not generally survive in nature because of the sensitivity to the sun, more visible to predators etc.

As for the brightly marked snakes mimicing other snakes... there are quite a few examples, but those would be their natural colouration and not a morph.

Hope this makes sense
Life can like to be lekker
Anco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks. What snakes are mimicked by the corn snakes?

BTW - is the word morph only used for a captive variation? In insects we use the word form for constant variations within a population so would for example a black mole snake me classified as a form or a morph.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Serpy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:40 am

Colour form not a morph
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Irock » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi,

You get "milksnake phase" corns but I am not sure of any other mimicking PURE corns.

The BASE "morphs" are as follows:

* Amelanistic
* Anerythristic A, B and C
* Caramel
* Lavender
* Hypomelanistic
* Lava
* Diffused/Bloodred
* Ultra (still a debate as to whether pure or not)
* Sunkissed (another hypo type)

And then the Pattern Morphs:

* Motley
* Stripe
* Motley x Stripe
* Banded
* Pied Sided

etc etc.. the list of possibilities when crossing any of these together is virtually endless. Eg. Amel Bloodred motley etc etc.
~Meg~

1.0 Normal 1.0 Anery Motley 1.0 Butter 0.1 Ghost Motley 1.1 Reverse Okeetee 0.1 Caramel het hypo 0.1 Ultramel het caramel 1.0 Hi Red Blood 0.1 Amel hurricane motley het caramel 0.1 Amel stripe Poss. het anery ?.? Lavender
Irock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gnarhimself » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Irock wrote:Hi,

You get "milksnake phase" corns but I am not sure of any other mimicking PURE corns.

The BASE "morphs" are as follows:

* Amelanistic
* Anerythristic A, B and C
* Caramel
* Lavender
* Hypomelanistic
* Lava
* Diffused/Bloodred
* Ultra (still a debate as to whether pure or not)
* Sunkissed (another hypo type)

And then the Pattern Morphs:

* Motley
* Stripe
* Motley x Stripe
* Banded
* Pied Sided

etc etc.. the list of possibilities when crossing any of these together is virtually endless. Eg. Amel Bloodred motley etc etc.

SPOT ON!
thanks Meg
~Bryan~
-42 corns-
gnarhimself
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Some of the morphs like albino and anerythistic have been found as sub adults or adults in th wild. There is nothing preventing striped or motley survivng in the wild although they are caused by a recessive gene.

Okeetee and Miami are colour forms because they occur in various degrees and this will show when mated with similar snakes.

Go do a search on corn morphs because some websites will tell you the origin of these morphs.

A black molesnake bred to a brown molesnake will not produce brown babies which when bred to each other will produce 25% brown and 25% black and 50 % brownish black.

In the reptile world a morph is something which is a recessive gene and usually not expressed in the first generation, although if it is expressed in the first generation exactly and does not produce hets then it is a co-dom morph.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Gabi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:17 am

Well I was going to say...

When a mommy cornsnake and a daddy cornsnake love each other very much they........" :D

Don't worry. I've been trying to figure out all the morphs for ages. It's all still greek to me.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:28 am

Gabi love has very little to do with it. More like when daddy cornsnake comes home drunk and mommy cornsnake needs something from him .....
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Anco » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 am

HA!
Life can like to be lekker
Anco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 am

And then mommy and daddy gets divorced because the baby looks different and daddy suspects mommy...
BushSnake

Postby Gary » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:46 pm

lol all of you make me laugh to death.
Regards
Gary
You CAN do it.
Gary
SA Reptiles Member

Postby crimson king » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:20 am

There are anerytheristic corns (both a & b) here in FL.
The first albinos were collected here as well.
Hypos are common throughout their range.
Natural color variants include Miami, bloodred, (FL), Okeetee (SC), as well as others including a "golden" corn found in the Carolinas a few years back.
(There are others of course.)
As stated, most all others are captive manipulations of one or more of these.

While I have found 2 albinos, I have little doubt they were both escapees..
:Mark
crimson king
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)