Cal King snake housing.

Cal King snake housing.

Postby lampie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi everyone :smt006
I have a Californian king snake.After reading throw the November/December issue of Ultimate Exotics magazine on pg.26 about "Enriching your reptile's captive life",I decided to make my king snakes cage more natural.The only problem is I don't know which plants can go in her cage and still be suitable,another problem with life plants is a substrate in which it can grow and still be suitable for her :smt017 .I'm looking for smallish plants which is going to be used for decorative use and making the cage more natural.
If anyone can give some info or advice about this it will be greatly appreciated.
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cal King snake housing.

Postby RJG » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Fake plants are easier to maintain and are just more practical. The fake plants will also give the snake the same level of enrichment and will be just as good to look at. It will solve all your problems :-)
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Naturalsitic settings aren't the best for cal kings. The high humidity required for live plants would give the snake belly rot.

Do as tipan said and use fake plants, they look just as nice and require little maintenance. Chances are with natural plants, the king will also just uproot it, since they are burrowers.

Save the real plants for the animals that need it like various frog species. Some snakes do benefit from naturalistic enclosures, but not many. Go for desert sand if you want a naturalistic setting for the king, add in a hollowed out rock and you're set.
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jlassiter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Most California Kings come from Grassland prairies.....
Jlassiter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to King snakes and milk snakes (Lampropeltis sp.)