My Cal King - first timer

Re: My Cal King - first timer

Postby Aninelab » Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Hi all,

Ok, I'm starting to get a bit worried about Paulie -that is my pretty snake's name! :-P First time I noticed that she is about to shed was last week Thursday. Blue eyes, faded colour etc. I started handling her less, mist the cage a bit, replacing water and then on the advice of Viperkeeper: new substrate: Crushed peach / apricot pips - apparently! :) On Monday eve I fed her a nice dark small fuzzy - she was all over the place for that feed, obviously a bit blinded, but the way she carried on was like she never was going to feed again! She scuffed it down, no problem. But since the weekend she has become completely lethargic, placid barely moves out of her hide. I try to encourage her a bit, without stressing her out. And up to now, no shedding yet. Neither can i find any evidince that she has been going about at night, that cage, the waterbowl, substrate everything seems to be completely untouched. I am worried now... is she having trouble shedding maybe? Should i take her to an expert? Or should i just relax and wait it out a bit?

Please give your honest opinion? That is why i'm on this site, to get opinions from reptile lovers with experience and more.

Thank you for the advice and the help thus far... :smt006
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gekosin » Wed May 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Give him/ her time :) it can take a while for them to shed sometimes.

I would also not handle or feed once I see they are in the blue, only start once they shed
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby viv1 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:48 pm

I have had snakes that shed only 3 weeks after coming out of the "blue". Only once she starts to shed and it is bit by bit or covering the eyes would i get worried. Don't stress to much you will see once snakes are ready to shed they will rub there lips against anything in the cage.
viv1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Thu May 23, 2013 9:30 am

HI everyone, thank you so much for the advice. Think i am just a bit of a nervous first timer - so scared i might be doing something wrong unintentionally! But this is the reason why she was so depressed and feeling sorry for herself! So cute that snakes too can take on these kind of behavours. Shame man, but she is all fine now! Back to her playful self. Enquisitive and alert again. And she is no exotic dancer hey? She strips down one time, eye caps and all - in one go! One can clearly see the eye caps on the shed. I feel like having a "welcome back Paulie" party!! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 am

@ Newtz, Cal kings come in a hell of a lot more than two natural phases. Striped, dashed and almost abberant phases occur in the wild.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to King snakes and milk snakes (Lampropeltis sp.)