Showing off

Showing off

Postby Aninelab » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:45 am

Hi All,

Just showing off with my Paulie (Cal King). She is doing so well. I've taken all of your advice on my previous posts to heart and this is just a tribute and gratitude for all the help and advice I have received from all of you. She shed last week and I measured 68cm. She is now 9mnths old and since changing her from fuzzies to weaners it seems that she is just doing much better in general. I unfortunately do not handle her as much as I used to, she is quite feisty and she doesn't like it all that much. I do try to handle her at least once a week for about half an hour. She relaxes to my touch eventually, but at first she is musking and attacking all over the place. I do not like to stress her out but I believe that I shouldn't stop handling her completely.

So here goes, and once again... thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Showing off

Postby michael » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 am

Wow, that’s is nice looking enclosure and even a nicer looking Californian King Snake . Keep up the good work! Don’t worry too much about handling, they don’t tend to mind it once they get used to it. What are you using as substrate?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Aninelab » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi Michael,

Substrate is a bit of a problem at the moment. I'm using a mix bag of grind peach pits and something else, got it at Reptillians in Randpark. The first bag was ok, it seems to be not too hard and I could scoop out the worst poo without having to replace all the substrate. But this second time I am not happy. It smells very, very dusty. So much that I mist her enclosure and I leave the sliding door wide open for as long as possible just to get the smell out. It also seems very sandy. So except for newspaper / paper towels, can you perhaps suggest any other kind of substrate?
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aninelab » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Sorry, I have to add... I am misting and leaving the door open for extra ventilation, now 3 days after replacing the substrate. It just seems that the dense dusty smell doesn't go away.
Aninelab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ross Padilla » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 am

I use shredded aspen for my Cal kings. You could also use ground walnut shell if they sell it in your country. It looks more natural than shredded aspen. I used it for years. Nice Cal king by the way!
http://southerncaliforniakingsnakes.weebly.com/
Ross Padilla
SA Reptiles Member

Return to King snakes and milk snakes (Lampropeltis sp.)