Two photos of my Salmon boa.

Re: Two photos of my Salmon boa.

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:03 am

Two of the images are identical, one enhanced and one not.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

Nope. I can send them both to you if you would like?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 am

Photo Gurus out there, would simply turning on the flash in daylight enhance the colours of the grass, the snake and the blue object in the background to this extent?
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:38 am

I sent you both of the pictures, the one without flash has a dark border around it where the blue cap is, that is why it is not so bright.

And the placement of the one with flash is totally different.

They are not the same photos. Are they?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buggs » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Photo guru at hand...

Jamster, the flash would indeed have an effect on everything in daylight. It's clearly two different pics, with different focal points and composition. The version with no flash, the snake is clearly much further right in the picture than the flash version. When you turn the flash on on certain cameras, settings are also changed to compensate and avoid overexposure. Shutter speed is increased because the camera senses that the flash has been turned on, and the amount of light generated from the flash can damage the sensor if the shutter is open for too long. This alters the colours and contrast of the photograph... I fully back Lutvo, and agree with what he's saying...

Nice snake btw man :)
Email me: buggsbalmer@gmail.com
BBM me: 21A48E8B

"For just one moment in the night
I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment, then it's gone,
And I am once again undone.
Never complete. Never whole.
White skin, and an African soul."
- Michelle Frost
Buggs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Sorry, I know exactly what you are talking about. But i have used plenty cameras and I have never had that effect from simply turning the flash on. The flash would maybe cause some over exposure AT A CLOSER RANGE, but not deeply intensify both hue and saturation to this extent. Flash also tends to have a decreasing effect with distance, here somehow the colour change from the "flash" remains the same at a foot away compared to a few meters away... in day light...I think not..
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Thank you very much Buggs, appreciate it.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:26 pm

I have no dog in this fight, but to me both those images are exactly the same, with the colours tweaked a bit, images sharpened and cropped, borders added which makes each look different.

Not calling Mr Venom a liar, but that would be my impression if someone gave both images to me without a story behind them.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Westley I have sent all three pictures to Buggs. The one with borders, one with my name on it, and the very first original.

And then I sent him one without flash, and everything is different.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buggs » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm not getting involved here guys. Jamster asked for the opinion of a photographer, so I gave it. It seems this fight is more a personal issue between Jamster and Mr Venom, so I'm going to duck before I get involved... I'm just saying that it's possible to have such a difference by turning on the flash and altering a few settings on the camera, I'm not saying that is what was done. It's also possible to achieve that difference with a simple program like Microsoft Picture Manager. That said, I'm bowing out before this gets ugly...
Please guys, try resolve personal issues elsewhere before dragging the rest of the forum into them. That's not why any of us are here
Email me: buggsbalmer@gmail.com
BBM me: 21A48E8B

"For just one moment in the night
I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment, then it's gone,
And I am once again undone.
Never complete. Never whole.
White skin, and an African soul."
- Michelle Frost
Buggs
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Hmmmm? Personal? I simply noted that the images look edited? It is being discussed. There is no name calling, no provoking, no nonsense. This is a descent discussion about the possibilities revolving around a few photos. Dont make a big hoo haa over a little discussion... :smt017
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 pm

I see your point Buggs, and thank you for giving your thought on the photos.

This is what happened on the day the photo was taken. Took one without flash, then it looked dull. Then I took one with flash, from a different angle. I have both of them on my phone.

Then. On saturday, I went to a friends house and told him I want my name on the pictures (I would have done it myself, but I do not have software for that, or have a working laptop). So I went to his house, put the two photos by the edit software. Then he put the two borders on the (the top and bottom), nothing was cropped, if you take the borders away the blue cap and grass is still there. Then I said I want my name on it. Then he got a better idea. He asked "what type of snake is it", so I said a Salmon boa, then he asked "what's its name?", I said salmon. He put the one word by the top border and that was all that I saw him do. And I was with him the whole time.

Jamster Buggs is talking about what happened on the group. No one is making a ho haa of anything :).
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Buggs isnt on the group? This has nothing to do with the group?
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mr Venom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Can we rather settle this privately?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:02 pm

If anything happened in terms of editing when the borders were added, the most likely thing that happened was that the picture lost quality. I have seen some interesting things happen in "PAINT" when saving picture formats. My current laptop no longer has "pAINT" and I donwloaded "Paint.net" whenever I resize a picture and save in the default format the program warns me that the image will be of reduced quality.

On another note, I have very limited knowledge about cameras and terminology. I own a Nikon coolpix 10mpx camera, its a cheapie that my mom bought for me. I am often quite amazed at some of the colours I get from some of my pics that I take. For example, a hatchling albino corn snake which was mostly white came out a VERY vibrant orange on my camera. This was taken as a close up with no flash. An adult corn of mine was deep in the blue and very dull and when a photo was taken of him his colours came out way brighter than they should be. This was taken with flash at a distance. When I asked someone about it they mentioned hue or saturation levels being out. Being a cheapie camera I don't know how to change these things or if they can be changed.

I am not backing anyone, but simply trying to state that a camera can do all sorts of weird things and sometimes you end up taking a very nice photo without intending to. Bottomline is that pictures NEVER do any snake justice. It is near impossible to capture their true colours. Unless you are a hectic camera "fundu"
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)