A Few Pics of my Boa after a Shed

Re: A Few Pics of my Boa after a Shed

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Here are a few pics of the enclosure that I am building so far, This will be completed by the end of day Saturday.

Sorry the photos are so bad, It's a cellphone camera in bad lighting conditions, unfortunately I had to sell my digital SLR :(

Anyway I will post pics when its complete ASAP. Its going to be an ongoing project though as I want to build a water feature into it that has a drainage system for easy cleaning and I would like to build a fake rock looking background on the back wall, Not quite sure how to do this yet so will need to do some research. I want something kind of like the foam fake rock in the exoterra cages.

Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm

If its not too late rather turn the cage on its side. They dont need to climb that high and if they fall its a far way down with no leaf litter to cushion the fall. If you use the cage on its side then it has enough space to move around and still climb a bit.

The water feature will frustrate the hell out of you so rather give that a miss. The fake rocks have been done in a few cages and if you look on the forum you will find many examples of how it can be done. You can also build a nice ledge/shelf for the snake too and you can use that as a hot spot for the snake to go to when it wants to bask.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:44 am

Eish, its a bit late for that hey, as I have already built the bottom part for drawers etc. I did this before though and the way that I did it made it pretty safe, I used a huge log bolted at and angle into the corner as a shelf which they always used. then I had thick branches at different levels split into "Y" Shapes for them to climb without any problems, they never had that problem where they start climbing and then get that sudden twist where they almost fall as they had double support. But I will build the whole thing and you can check it out and tell me what you think. I am just having problems with glass, I went to get the glass cut onsaturday at 6mm and the problem is that they are quite big pieces of glass so they were too heavy to slide in railings, I ended up breaking a corner off, I wanted to build hinges but no hardware store sells glass hinges like the ones used for shower doors :( So I am going to try build it with Plexiglass now, just not sure where to get it from, trying to find suppliars.
Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:49 am

If you want to use plexiglass try Maizey http://www.maizey.co.za/ but 6mm plexi is going to cost a fair amount for that size and might be too flexible at those lengths.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Okay yes a log will help. What you can do is split the cage in half by putting in a wooden beam in the middle in front. That way you are then using 4 pieces of glass instead of two and it works much easier and cheaper. Two open the top of the cage and two open the bottom of the cage.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)