My first little big boa

My first little big boa

Postby ghoti » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:28 pm

So I got a red tailed boa today. This took some serious negotiations with my wife :D

He is an absolute beut. Im pretty such he just a normal morph (or a pavement special).

I was reading that if you feed them mice instead of rats, they dont grow as big?

http://redtailboafaq.com/feeding.php

Say you dont want to have the 3m big version, would feeding mice instead of rats give you a smaller but still healthy version?

What do you recommend?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghoti
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My first little big boa

Postby Reynard » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Beautiful!

And yes. You would have a smaller healthy version. But don't feed it mice. Mice are just skin and bones. Instead feed the guideline size food every second week once it has reached about 1m.

I personally do not like the idea of underfeeding it for it to remain smaller as I believe if you want the snake you should be prepared for the "3m version".

There are dwarf sp. out there.
1.2 Red Tail Boas

It's my life. Let me live it.
Reynard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jhbhc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Congrats on your boa. That's a boa constrictor imperator. If its a female it will probably get to around 2.5 metres or less. True red tail boa constrictor constrictor can get to around 3 metres but it takes a long time. I wouldn't worry about your little guy becoming massive.
jhbhc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:37 pm

We feed our boas all mice when they are young just because rat pups are too fatty and dont have enough calcium. Once they can eat a large mouse we switch them to rats (weaners) and then later they get other foods as well as and when we get pigs and rabbits.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)