New Babies

New Babies

Postby Mehelya » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:36 am

Well, after a drought of about 9 years without any boas, I finally decided to get back into the game with them, and managed to land two lovely little related pairs.

The parents I saw in person. There were two unrelated mothers (a dark looking normal, and a lovely light caramel biscuit color mother), and one single father for both litters (male was a normal looking boa). I was given the opportunity to choose my own males and females from the clutches, and I went for a pair from each mother at the end of the day... So, I ended up with a light pair from the caramel mother, and a darker pair from the normal mother.

Without further ado, here are the pics of the little ones... I don't know if there is something genetically special about them, but that will be proven out in 3-4 years time... For now, they are still lovely and adorable normals.

The Dark ones... Normal female to normal male

And the Lighter ones... Caramel colored female to normal male

Really enjoying these four little monsters, and I hope to add some albino genes to the mix soon as well, so it can only get better from here on out.

Thanks for looking.
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Babies

Postby rolandslf » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Awesome babies B.
Enjoy them.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Very nice additions.

I am not sure what triggered this thought, but something about the lighter coloured ones remind me of the Nicaraguan boas (still BCIs), which often have the lighter colour as well as the motley-like appearance.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby reptile » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Awesome man!!! Looking forward to some babies... In 4 years that is;-)
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks Roland, a few years before they grow up, and so looking forward to it.

Westley, that would make them intergrades then? If the theory holds... I have requested pics of the parents, and will upload them when I get them.

Reptile, you took the words right out of my mouth...

In the meantime, here are some pics I took last night... I have noticed that the same boa can show several color variations when the photo is taken at different angles, and this can be a hindrance. Whatever they are, they are still gorgeous to me, and I am looking forward to seeing what the light ones pop out in 3 or 4 years time...

Light Female

Light Male

Dark Female

Dark Male
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:33 pm

Nah, they wouldnt be intergrades, simply a mix of two localities.

But I think they are working on the Boa constrictor ssp. to revise the taxonomy, so maybe there will be a couple more subspecies soon.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mehelya » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Westley, So after a lot of research, and a lot of questions, I am absolutely nowhere closer to their lineage. The parents of both litters were rescues, so genetically, they could be anything or nothing at all. Someone also did mention that the lighter ones could be Key West babies, but I will have to wait and breed them out to see how the ratios go, and then decide from there.

On that note, I have seen several theories in regards to boa het markers... Whether they are 100% accurate remains to be seen, and I should have all the genetics in a few years time to see for myself if the theories are true or not... But I will repeat them here, in short, just for a case in argument for later (4 years from now)...

Het Albino Marker - Apparently discovered by Jeff Ronne, whereby the upper part (above the horizon) is much brighter than the rest of the eye, almost like a "little light bulb"... Another supposed het Albino marker is "albino tipped/edged" scales.... Best way I can put it as normal scales, with what appears to be albino looking edges (white)...Whether this has been proven true or not, I'll leave up to the wizards and genetics fundis...

Het Anery Marker - Supposedly silver flecking in the upper, bright part (above the horizon) of the eye.

For now, they are still lovely little boas that are eating like champs, and growing at a rapid rate... 3 of the 4 are relatively docile, and can be handled without any snaps or bites, but the normal male is a right beggar, and will show his displeasure most of the time. I will snap some pics after their next shed and then see how they are coloring up, or down.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:01 am

Rian, Greetings B.

My two Red Tails do not tolerate being handled, and so this is done at own risk.
They will be okay when out of their enclosure, but be warned, no sudden movements at all, you will get tagged.
I purchased a new Red tail in January, also at 1,5m or so in length, and he is as tame as a puppy, does not mind being handled at all.
Luckily I heard somewhere that Red Tails do outgrow the aggressive behaviour.
I hope this is true.

I remember Dean Boshoff had an absolute giant of a Red Tail that I would have allowed my 2 year old Grandaughter to play with, sadly that one passed on.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Hey Roland, I had many moons ago, and as with all the bigger boys and girls, with regular handling they become used to it, although again, some just never get the idea. The light male does not like being picked up, and has lashed out at me once or twice, but it's understandable considering their predator/prey reactions. He's getting there. The other three you can just reach in and pick up without any issues, unless you smell like rodents... Then I would definitely reconsider handling them, or any other snake for that matter. Having so many snakes, I have to delegate time for each of the bigger species I have, so I try to do 5-10 minutes of handling a day with all of them, and it seems to work. Now I just need to start feeding out of the tubs. That's another bad habit I need to break myself of (mostly venomous, so handling was never an issue)... :lol:
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Two of the little babies shed this week, so I decided to try an impromptu photoshoot quickly. I think it went alright. Much easier than working with little children, and most adults actually...

Without further ado, some weekend exotic eye candy...

Normal Male

Normal Female

Light Male

Light Female
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Very Nice Indeed.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:37 am

I can't help it.... They are just soooo pretty!

I will hopefully be getting an albino and het albino pair from Heidi end of this month or next month at the latest... Then the wait begins, and the fun starts when I decide who to pair with who, and to see how their possible genetics play out for me... The hardest part is going to be who to put with who for what results... At least I have 4 years to prepare that scenario.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Wed May 04, 2016 9:03 am

Cleaned some enclosures last night, and just snapped some quick shots of the young ‘uns. Most of them were pretty chilled, but one was not too happy about the change of enclosures and the flashing lights Without further ado, here they are…

Normal (Dark) Female

Normal (Dark) Male

Light Female (Not Happy, and “snarling” at me)

Light Male

Mix Female

Mix Male (Not really interested)

Thanks for looking, and will update in a few months again.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Just a quick update from the weekend. Was in the Jhb region, and stopped by the expo (Amazing animals all over the place, and a pity my credit card would max out within 10 minutes, so I dared not bring it with) to pick up a special pair of boas I had ordered from Heidi... Albino female, and het albino male. Both are Kahl Strain Albinos, seeing as Sharp Strain is rare AND expensive... I am already planning some breeding options in the near future, and I will see what pans out...

Kahl Albino Female

Het Kahl Albino Male (unrelated)

Heidi, thank you for these amazing little chompers! They are stunning little animals, and are settling in nicely at the moment. Once they've eaten, I will post better pics of the pair.
Rian
Forceps. Not fingers...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:57 am

Beauties. The more I look at the lighter ones the more I think there's something to them.

Fingers crossed.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Next

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)