Albino Burmese Python

Albino Burmese Python

Postby Aphrodites » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi There Guys

I was wondering if you could assist me. What would the going rate be for albino burmese pythons:

Hatchling:
Yearling:
Sub Adult:
Adult:

Also is there much of a demand for them?

I have noticed that in general the cost of snakes (Obviously dependant on the type) has gone down quite a lot in the last couple of years. I also notice that people are struggling more and more to sell their snakes, why is this?

Any feedback or assistance which you can give me would be much appreciated.
Aphrodites
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Albino Burmese Python

Postby reptile_man65 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:12 pm

People do think they can charge alot. If you look hard enough and have a little patience a good deal will come around. Get as many quotes as you can.
reptile_man65
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby putridity » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm

You could pick a hatchling or maybe yearling up for about R1200
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll Die Today"
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:39 pm

or even round the R750 to R800 mark
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptilefeeders » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Serpy wrote:or even round the R750 to R800 mark

I wish i could find it for that price here in cape town.cheapest i got myne for was R1500 for a hatchling
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile_man65 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Anything over R800 is just too expensive for a hatchling. I'd say R750 is a fair price for both parties.
reptile_man65

Postby Loslappie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 pm

Here in cape Town there are not that many breeders around, so you find the guys selling snakes at a somewhat escalated price, and if you get it from a pet shop well there most certainly will be a mark up. Ive seen an ad for a very normal looking corn snake for R1500 :shock:
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile_man65 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm

LOL its such a load. Why dont you look at breeders from other places around SA.
reptile_man65

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Albino Burmese hatchlings (shed and fed) should go for about R1200 depending on how many you take. They could drop as low as R950 if you ask around or know the breeders.

Yearlings could cost about R1600 each because they have eaten about 40 rats since hatching at R10 a rat and needed a cage with heating.

Adult then go from R2000 to R3500 depending on size, sex and condition.

It you are in a hurry to sell then nobody wants them and when you want to buy everybody wants to keep theirs or want crazy prices. That is Murphy's law.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 pm

Prices are subject to supply and demand. I sell out all my Burmese Pythons every year and do not sell them cheap. Burmese Pythons are relatively expensive to house and maintain.... If you are looking for something cheap... look for something else, like a Corn Snake.
It is very easy to say that they should sell for R750 or so... when you don't have any, when you actually have the animals available, then quote a price. If you don't have the stock, how can you set a price?
This is a capitalist market: why must I sell all my animals for hundreds of Rands less than they are worth?
Also, bear in mind that they are seasonal breeders and as such are more abundant at a certain time of year and scarce at others. It is true that you may find them as cheap as R750 when there is a glut of them around, but they are worth more. You cannot import them from the States for that little.
The bottom line is If you have the money and like the snake, buy it. If not, don't!
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile_man65 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 am

I dont know if I agree with S4A's final statement. There is most definately a point where you can get pay way too much for a snake. The best thing to do is ask around. See what people would pay or have paid. It's no use going ok well that BHS is R500 and I like it so I'll take it.
reptile_man65

Postby Loslappie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:38 am

Reptile man, unfortunately if the guy has the animals, and you cannot source them anywhere else, he is the King, also like BV said he has put in a considerable amount feeding and maintaining the animal till it is sold. I know of one albino in Cape Town for sale, and the guys here that knows can correct me if Im wrong, I think its R3500? and its not an adult yet. BUT it is the only one I have seen for sale here! yet at r15 a large rat, what do you think its costing them to feed that animal, as well as house it?

Getting them from say JHB is an idea, it will then cost you the travelling which is R135, import permit from Cape nature R80, export permit from Gautend R50, and then probably you have to get it to the airport in gauteng which means an additional R100 or so for courier, and you need a proper container to transport the snake, and add the additional little charges and and and..... so unless you have a saving of R600, you might as well pay whatever is being asked here! (I am currently going through this process, so I know what it will cost) for me its worth it, Im saving R700 on the snake!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile_man65 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 am

Well I can't say I agree with the "king" mentality. They may seem that way but with a little bit of patience and some careful planning you can get an albino burm for much less than the above mentioned prices. When I first started out I bought on impulse and it shredded my pockets. but now I spend, sometimes moths, looking and waiting.
reptile_man65

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:42 am

NICE Albino Burm hatchlings are WORTH R 1500 in my mind
Yearlings-R 1800 R 2000
Adults, depends, how old, have they bred, Dissease history ect....

I dont care what other peaple sell them for, that is what they are worth...IMO
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:50 am

reptile_man65 wrote:. When I first started out I bought on impulse and it shredded my pockets. but now I spend, sometimes moths, looking and waiting.

I know what you mean, I take the same stance, but remember starting out and you want a snake, you know the lengths you will go through to get it.
Patience paid off for me in a few instances, however on more occassions Ive kicked my a$$ on not taking certain seemingly "escalated offers" If the opportunity is there and the opportunity does not come around often, take it.
Reptile man which area are you situated? as that makes a difference.

Burmbuddy I agree, and as Ive seen Albino Burms can be rather costly so naturally people shop around, but being in Cape Town, I think you can appreciate the difficulty in locating certain snakes here.
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)