Urgent help needed with baby burm!!!

Urgent help needed with baby burm!!!

Postby Jamster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:56 pm

I work at the Boma Reptile World and we oftwn get people coming in with their pet snakes asking for help... a gentleman came in with a little albino burm +-30cm. One look and new it was a stargazer... i told him to immediately separate it from his juve rtb and his royal... ive kept it for him for a day so far, it doesnt look good at all! when it moves it twists the whole front half of the body, the eyes are permanently milky and it is so thin! i actually saw this exact burm at the pet shop but didnt buy it obviously... no names mentioned but i cant believe that a person could sell such a sick animal at such an outrageous price! the snake has eaten one fuzzy in 3 months... it will only take blood nose/brained fuzzies but spits them out after flopping about with them for a while...force feed? euthanaise? I dont want to be the person who has to tell this poor man that his new pet must be euthanaised... Any advice please!

Thanx in advance
James
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Urgent help needed with baby burm!!!

Postby Mitton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:05 pm

I would say all you can do is suggest the owner take it to a vet and have the vet make the decission.

Never nice thing to see or hear.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bianca » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:53 pm

We had the same problem with a baby Ball Python. First vet we took her to immediately diagnosed her with Inclusion Body Disorder and told us to medicate her with a heavy dose of something and within days she would die.

Second vet we took her to ruled out IBD completely and told us there was hope. He changed her medication and after a while we didn't see any improvement and took her back to him. He offered to take her off our hands and see what he could do. So we handed her over and he told us these kind of things CAN be fixed but that it takes a long time and a lot of patience.

If the owner is anywhere near the Edenvale area, I would suggest taking her to Dr. Shabeer at the Linksfield Vet and he's great and takes a lot of interest in these cases. The only thing is that the medication is given through a long pipe in the mouth which is very difficult with a 'special needs' snake. We had to get help from one of our local reptile store owners as we were not nearly experienced enough to handle such a thing.

It's heartbreaking. Euthanasia should never the first option, unless the animal is in pain.
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:56 pm

That is really tragic man. Since the little one is still so small, may I suggest putting it in the freezer. A lot of people are reluctant to go to vets from a monetary point of view, and from your description, I doubt that the vet would be able to do anything other than suggest euthanasia from a humane and proffesional perspective. The animal is suffering terribly and sounds like if the suspected IBD doesn't get it, starvation will.

Also, take a photo of the little guy as he is now, and post it on this forum along with the pet shops name and the person who made the sale.

Good luck.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:00 pm

The first vet we took her to force-fed her. She looked a lot better and was much healthier within a few hours. She will also be dehydrated and will need fluid. But taking her to the vet is still a better option than just giving up hope. The total cost of our consultation only cost around R500, which is really not that bad. Including medication for 7 days and consultation and force-feed and fluid.

It's worth a shot.
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deleray » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hope it improves.

It is always worth learning a few things yourself if you keep reptiles, like how to force feed and deliver fluids through a tube. It is pretty simple when you think about it. And considering the snake is not venomous the risk is low.

What medication did he give you if you don't mind me asking?
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:39 pm

The little guy has had no medication thus far. The owner didnt know that there was such a thing as stargazing or IBD... I have done tubing and forcefeeding on snakes ranging between 30cm and 5m. The owner will be coming to fetch his burm in the morning, now that he has a separate enclosure, i'll make sure that the enclosure is suitable. My boss and friend, Mark, keeps a huge variety of snakes and has had experience in stargazing individuals, i'll arrange for him to take the little guy to a local vet that his wife works at that often undertakes snake healthcare... will post a pic soon... thanx guyz :)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:10 pm

I can't really remember the name of the stuff he gave us, but I can find out and i'll let you know.
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanx Bianca :)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nineve » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 pm

If there is a possibility of stargazing, I would consider euthanasia option one.
I don’t think there is much you can do for stargazers especially so young.

It would be a good thing to take the animal to the Vet to determine the cause of stargazing, besides, when you want to treat it you have to know what is causing it.

I don’t think it’s always wise to try and save every animal, sometimes euthanasia is better to stop a possible disease spreading.
Nineve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby burmco4 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey Buddy sorry to hear about the little guy.
I agree with Greame, I had my fare share of IBD about 2 years back and realy for IBD if it truly definitly is IBD there is no known cure at the moment and to uthenise is probably the best option . And the problem is I have seen that disease jump from viv to viv it is not something to be taken lightly. I can't believe people can be so emoral as to sell sick animals like that.

All of the best. If need any info please call me 0825584616

Keep well,

Charl
From the Lord comes deliverance Psalm 3:8
burmco4
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanx for the advice and support so far guyz, here are some pics...
image326TT.jpg
image331TT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 am

Okay firstly freezing a snake is not humane and not recommended at all. Secondly the chances that this snake will ever recover is almost nil. I would suggest that the vet make the call (almost certainly he will euthanase it) and write a letter stating that this animal was not a healthy animal to start with. Take this to the pet shop along with a summons to appear in the small claims court for the cost of the animal as well as all vet costs incurred after the purchase was made.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Graeme » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 am

My bad! The few snakes that I've had to have put down, have been handled by our vet Dr Elliott, for the last couple of years. I had no idea that freezing was no longer considered the most humane DIY option for small snakes.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17728

Thanks, got some catching up to do.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 am

Thanx guyz. I am not one for confrontation nor do I like making enemies... I will however go and personally meet the petshop owner and make it known that i am unhappy with the situation and recommend that he do something about it... other than that I will leave it up to the owner of the snake to decide wether he wants to take any legal action... im just the guy whos trying to make this little snakes life/death as pleasant as possible... thanx again guys :)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)