Nose rub help

Nose rub help

Postby Reinhard Booysen » Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 pm

I recently noticed my Burmese has some nose rub, and I have seen him trying to 'escape' a few times lately, at first I thought it's the temps that is wrong or maybe he is just roaming but I monitored it and it is as follow,

Day
Warm side: 29-32 degrees
Cool side: 25-28 degrees

Night
Warm side: 26-28 degrees
Cool side: 24-26 degrees

Humidity never get less than 65%

The cage size is: 1800x1200x600
He is 2 years+ and about 8ft in length, I feed him rabbits every 2-3 weeks depending on the size and after every 4th feeding i skip him about 25 days. He sheds good and is healthy.

It just got me worried because he never did it before :(

Thanks, Reinhard.
Reinhard Booysen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Nose rub help

Postby Bushviper » Sun May 08, 2011 9:27 am

Well your snake is unhappy. The temperatures are fine so that does not seem to be the problem. Make sure the area that is being heated is actually enough to raise the snakes temperature. A small heating pad set at 30 degrees is not going to heat up a python on 2.2 metres if the air temperature is 22 degrees. The snakes belly might be warm but his back is getting cold.

I would feed him every week even if it is a smallish rabbit and just skip him for a week every 4 feed.

Check that the snake does not have mites as this can also cause the snake to move around much more, due to the itching and irritation of these parasites.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Nose rub help

Postby Reinhard Booysen » Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the reply BV, he has 2 large heating pads in his cage, both is quite warm. I have checked for mites a few days ago and I am checking for parasites on a regular basis, I haven't seen anything, but I will inspect again.

The problem seems to be food. But I can not understand why, I gave him a medium rabbit on Monday and a Large rat this morning, he had a monster feeding response. He is laying on his heating pads, really calm now.

I am just scared of feeding to much!
Reinhard Booysen
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)