Burm ill??

Burm ill??

Postby Reinhard Booysen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I am a bit worried now... :( I've heard something going on in my Burms enclosure and he is due to shed so I just thought its time to shed. So I just looked and then I saw him doing something looked like he was sneezing?? Then I found this (picture attached) on the newspaper and it got me all worrying. I hope it's not RI! I monitor the temps as regularly as I can but it never gets lower than 20 deg. Night temps around 20-24 and day temps 25-28. I spray the cage every now and then to keep the humidity above 60%. I have never seen this before :smt017

[What I founded, what is it?]

Thanks, Reinhard
Reinhard Booysen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Burm ill??

Postby Jason Lucey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Howsit! Personally I would say 28 as a max is maybe a bit to low. My albino burms hot side temp is 28 to 31 but averages out more on 29... As for the unidentified substance could it not just be from the snake drinking to much water at once and then some of the water coming "back up" I have seen this when people handle burms after they have bin drinking.. Is the snake "weezing" at all??
Radical Reptiles.
Cell:0760484045
Email: radicalreptiles@mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za
Jason Lucey.
Cell: 0718708773
BBM: 23A32A76
Email: luceyjason@yahoo.com
Jason Lucey
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Carpetpythons » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 pm

That snake will be sick at those temps. They need at least 32 degrees to get their core temperature to where it needs to be within the basking hours of the day. Hopefully it's not too late to fix the husbandry problem.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason Lucey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:14 am

Thanks! That's probably why mine burrows straight onto the heating pad where it is 31.
Radical Reptiles.
Cell:0760484045
Email: radicalreptiles@mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za
Jason Lucey.
Cell: 0718708773
BBM: 23A32A76
Email: luceyjason@yahoo.com
Jason Lucey
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reinhard Booysen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:47 am

Thank you Jason, he did lay in his water bowl before it happened.

Carpetpythons wrote:That snake will be sick at those temps. They need at least 32 degrees to get their core temperature to where it needs to be within the basking hours of the day. Hopefully it's not too late to fix the husbandry problem.

I apologize for failing to state that the temps mentioned is the cold side of the enclosure. Because of being albino, I can not use infra-red light so I use a Ceramic heat emitter. I do not have a cover for the Ceramic heat emitter, so the risk of the snake being burned is quite big, so I use it only while I am home and able to watch over the temps that is in fact 29deg, and if he goes near it, I put it off. I am using 2 heat pads, because of the low temps, and because of his size, one heating pad is not big enough for him to lay on, I am currently not aware of the temps on the heating pads.

Thanks for the replies.
Reinhard Booysen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 am

Albinos are not affected by infra red radiation. Build a wire enclosure around the ceramic heater and then connect that to a thermostat. Make sure the air does not dry out as a result either. Keep the snakes temperature at 32 for a few days which will help to get her over the RI.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)