New burm

New burm

Postby sildargod » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:01 pm

I got this lovely burm on sunday, beautiful temperament, lovely colours. I am a bit worried about one or two things though. I got it from a pet shop where it was housed with two other siblings and two adults. I discovered afterwards though that they were mite ridden and had clearly spent significant amounts of time on top of one another. There appeared to be some scale blistering on all of them which I am hoping was due to them lying for who knows how long in close proximity in the hide.

I have begun treatment for the mites, but I have now found a worrying mark near it's eye that I haven't seen before and want to make sure it isn't anything serious.

snakes (1 of 4) by sildargod, on Flickr

Above the left eye is a reddened and tight patch of scales which I didn't pick up initially. Is it something to worry about? You can also see the blistering I mean on his head - the darkened patches of scales. Also, does it look dehydrated? I am soaking every day, but I haven't seen it drink at all which I am putting down to stress.

Thanks!
Kaleem
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New burm

Postby LizardLover » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:44 pm

It does look a bit dehydrated. Have you tried misting the walls in the cage/tub? I find that some of snakes prefer drinking drops of water from decorations in the cage or the walls than from a water bowl. If it is feeding I'd suggest you make the rats, or whatever you're feeding it, wet so the snake can get some moisture from the food. Just offer it a water bowl with fresh water and maybe take it out for some natural sunlight.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New burm

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:20 pm

I would guess the snake has been burnt on the head. Keep it well hydrated and it will shed quite often as a result of the trauma. It should heal by itself. If you paid full price you got ripped off.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)