Birthday

Birthday

Postby WAYNET » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi All,

Just thought it would interest some of you that Monty, my burmese python born Dec 1987 turned 20 years old last month. I've had him ever since he was a month old. I also managed to find a pic of myself with Monty just after I had him for 3-4 months. I was 18 at the time (I only look slightly older now :-) I will post the photo early next week once I have the thing scanned (no digital photography back then) ..
WAYNET
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Nice! I wonder how many other people can say the same thing. Congrats. Do you have many other snakes?
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby WAYNET » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Not any more - used to have a yellow anaconda, mangrove snake and a few other burmese that I used to keep before I went to the army in 1989. After I got out, I was in S. Africa for 6 months and then worked in Botswana for 5 years.
WAYNET
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Happy birthday to Monty! :D Do you have a special relationship with him after you guys knowing each other all these years? It's great to hear that some people keep their giant snakes no matter how big or old they get. How big is he now?
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WAYNET » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi Boadicea,

After 20 years I know his 'moods' pretty well. He's also 'learn't' that 'food' or 'other' comes into his enclosure so I have had no feeding accidents for the past 15 years. Before that, I was taged a total of three times due to feeding mistakes - entirely my own fault btw.

Your comment below was an important one:

It's great to hear that some people keep their giant snakes no matter how big or old they get.

I think few people realise the long term responsibility they take on when purchasing and keeping larger snakes. After the 1st 3- 4 years the cost for building and running an enclosure can get very expensive. The size of the enclosure, insulating the enclosure and keeping it warm drive costs into the expensive category.

My experience has been to avoid 'home' type heating products and heat controllers and buy industrial type equipment where failures are far less frequent. I was very pleased to see a stand at last years expo where they were selling digital thermostats normally used in industrial applications such as the fridges in FMCG outlets (Eg Spar, checkers etc) to reptile keepers. I can't stress it enough, if you have a larger snake, buy industrial quality equipment. You will keep you animal happy and save a packet in the long run not having to keep replacing faulty equipment.
WAYNET
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeek » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:45 pm

Happy B-day Monty :D

WAYNET Congratulations my hat goes of to you for your dedication to your reptiles :!:
When one goes in search of honey
One must expect to be stung
Zeek
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Congrats man, not often one hears of commitment like that and wnyone who wants to keep these big animals must bear this in mind. It's not just a hobby, it's also a responsability to the animals you keep.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)