news about a snake and a cat

news about a snake and a cat

Postby Telgalad » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:13 am

This week Sniffles, a four-year-old tabby, and Lelu, an eight-month-old Burmese python, were at the centre of a life-and-death struggle, not in the wilds of the African bushveld, but in a small road off Durban's botanical gardens.

The wildlife drama started last Sunday night at about 9pm when plumber Graham Goodall was relaxing on his sitting-room couch after a bath, watching his favourite television programme. His relaxation came to an abrupt and bloodcurdling end when he heard the piercing screams of his wife Nita coming from the dining room.

Thinking that she had been attacked by an intruder, he leapt off the couch and raced towards the noise. There to his horror he found his pet python Lelu with Sniffles clamped firmly in its jaws.

"You cannot imagine the sight," he said. "There was my wife screaming around the dining room, and the snake eating her cat. It was really dreadful. I tried to prise Lelu's fangs from the cat's face, but she was hanging on for dear life. The cat was wriggling, hissing, and scratching me in sheer fright."

It was the stuff of nightmare, particularly as his neighbours, who had heard the screams of a woman obviously in mortal anguish, decided, like good neighbours should, to enter the fray.

Thinking that the poor woman was being beaten black and blue, they arrived with brooms, spades and an assortment of other hurriedly assembled domestic weapons. To make matters worse, Graham, who had only recently got out of the bath when the drama began, had nothing on.

Just as Graham was trying to explain to them that there was nothing wrong with his wife, but that her cat was in the python's jaws, the police burst in demanding to know what all the disturbance was about.

"As soon as I mentioned that my python was eating the cat, they hot-footed it back to their vehicle. They were obviously terrified at the thought of arresting a snake."

Battling again to release his wife's pet, Graham saw that Sniffles had collapsed in the python's mouth and it was obvious that the cat had expired from shock.

"It was only then that I managed to free Sniffles," said Graham. "He lay limply on the floor, his eyes staring up at the ceiling. As far as I was concerned he was dead. I picked him up and wrapped him in a towel and told my wife, who was in floods of tears, to go back into the lounge while I buried him in the garden."

By rights that should have been the end of this tragic story. But no. Just as Graham was about to inter the remains of Sniffles, there was a faint movement in the towel.

"I looked inside and I couldn't believe what I saw," said Graham.

"Sniffles was squirming around looking at me, clearly wondering what on earth I was doing sticking him in the ground. We rushed him off to the vet and apart from a badly bruised nose and cheek he was none the worse for wear. He had obviously fainted from shock in the python's jaw."

Graham believes that the reason Lelu went for the cat was because she was hungry. "You see, I had put her on a bit of diet because she was getting too big and eating too many rats. I think she decided that Sniffles would make a nice bedtime snack."

Not surprisingly, things have been a little tense in the Goodall home since the incident. Nita is not happy with Graham or Graham's snake, and neither is Sniffles, who hasn't been near the dining room since the unnerving incident.

Said Nita: "I think he deserves a little pampering after what he's been through."

A python stew maybe ...
Telgalad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dee474 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:31 am

Just a very stupid question ... why wasn't this Burm in a cage ... it could have escaped ... just what the anti-snake people want to use against us ... something here does not sound right .. or am I just stupid ?.. might be
Dee474
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:37 am

I agree with you Dee474, but please , i am a big animal lover and i know that this is out of line.. Please dont hold this agains me anyone!!!!.... BUT HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...

i'm sorry... ;)

Quintin
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spikelet » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:51 pm

i can just imagine the mayhem of a naked graham, hysterical wife, neighbours, police nevermind the action that caused it hehehehe

ps i have 3 cats so don't flame me ;)
'We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner' Bilbo Baggins
Spikelet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wickets » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Hey, I know I'm going to be beaten, but this is just as funny as BV's free cat! :-P :twisted: :-P
wickets
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:37 pm

I found this very amusing and the way it was written I am sure the humour is far more important than the whole bunny hugger aspect which they could have highlighted.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)