housing a big baby

housing a big baby

Postby Heathen » Thu May 03, 2007 1:56 pm

Whats up?

I'm in the pro of building a new cage for my 5m & 4m burmese pythons. (they moving into my new shop :-P ). what would be the best heating and substrate for them.

at the mo i'm using heating pads. and large pebbles as a sub, but its a mission to clean.

peace.
We are being controled by the media!
Heathen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Q Ball » Thu May 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Hey,

For boids with slow metabilism I use astroturf. Keep a spare and when it does it's thing you "wip" him out, change the astro and put him back. Heating pads work well through thesee and doesn't interfere with humidity. Also cleaning the astro turf I put it in the bath and let it sit for one day in a 10% bleach solution and the same with clean water.

That's what I use but it depends on the desighn of your viv and what the final display result needs to be.
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BigT » Thu May 03, 2007 6:10 pm

i know its not pretty but i keep everything on newspaper its easy to keep clean and you are never tempted to just leave it cos it isnt a mission to change. Probably wont be great for display in a shop but maybe you could try get some unprinted newspaper. Personaly I dont like any sort of loose substrate (pebbles corn cob etc )from a hygene and ingestion point of view.
Next stop Valhalla

Thomas Jefferson reminded us, "Who bend their swords into plow-shears will plow for those who don't!"
BigT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu May 03, 2007 7:08 pm

Hy Heathen
I have to agree with the astro a good substrate for burms especially for display perposes, i use a similar product called "fiber grass" it looks better then astro in my opinion.
As for heating, i doent like the idea of using heating pads for big snakes.
What i would recommend is using a heating panel-the kind used to heat rooms,the white ones you can paint,i think they are called "fox heating panels".
I mount it on the bottem of a wooden shelf ,then u can just place this shelf on the "hot" side,they can then go and undernaeth it for a nice "sun" tipe heat sorce, or they can go up on the shelf for belly heat.
Just note you will HAVE to use a thermostat with this set-up as those panels can give of ALOT of heat.
They are also graet for keeping the humidity up and they do not get hot enough to burm them when they reach up to investigate from the bottum.
Here is a pic of the cage and panel-shelf (you can see the panel underneath the shelf)
The substrate she is on is also the fiber grass i mentioned
Here she is chillen on top of the shelf.
Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.
Cheers
DAN
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Thu May 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi Heathen,

I used the infrared heat bulbs for my large burms and never had any problems. Depending on the size of your cage you can use a 175watt or 250watt infrared heat lamp.

If it gets a bit hot you can have it on a dimmer and control the heat. My bulbs were exposed and I have never had problems but coverling them with a protecter would be best.

You can buy the bulbs at many electric suppliers and they also have covers for them. The bulbs are used for chickens and pigs normally.

I have mine on 24/7.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)