Some advise please - burms

Some advise please - burms

Postby Gearedup » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:41 am

Hi All,

i am new to keeping a burmese , i got a 2-3 month old on monday, after setting up her viv, i put her in 30min later she ate 3 x rat pups no problem.

i just want to make sure i can get the viv 100%

Now on the left is the ceramic light , around 29deg there, its above the water bowl so water is luke warm, i switch the ceramic off at night, the right hand side is the hidey hole and the heatpad, around 25deg there, humiduty i upped last night seemed to settle from 88% to 65% this morning.

although the temp gauge this am was 22deg above the heatpad, and oscar was in her big water bowl chilling.

Gearedup
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:48 pm

I don't keep burms but maybe I could help.
You need a horizontal temperature gradient, I'm concerned that there will be no cooler spots so she can regulate, although maybe on top of the hide. You also need to check the temp inside the hide while it's on top of the heating pad. For now I would swop the waterbowl with the hide and keep the ceramic on. Shift the waterbowl a little off the heating pad until you hit the correct humidity. Just install a mesh guard over that ceramic like yesterday! The snake will burn itself sooner or later.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:16 pm

Have to agree about the wire mesh guard over the ceramic heater. That needs to be done as quick as possible. Snakes can coil on those and cook themselves.

Put all your heat on one side of the cage so that the other side of the cage is cooler.

Warm water is a breeding ground for bacteria. The water qualoty decreases rapidly so it will have to be changed and disinfected EVERY DAY.

If a snake is cruising in the water bowl when the water is cold it is often an indication of mites so look very carefully for mites in the water too.

Just remember to wash and disinfect the wood chips every 5 or 6 weeks. They become dusty and soiled rather quickly.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:41 pm

The other guys are all right!
But as a rule i like to keep my burms no colder then 28 deg, day and night, so you should position your heat so that you have a warm side of 33 deg and a cool side of 28 deg, day and night. 22 is WAY to cold and you will start to pick up resperitory infections in days to come.
The burm is a real looker!!!
Good luck and if you need more info on how to set her up prop, you can give me a call (0848880474), or just post more Q's on here.
Good luck!
Cheers
DAN
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gearedup » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:28 am

appreciate your replies

here is what i have done, i got a mesh / lampshade type thing from reptilians yesterday and covered the ceramic, i have moced it slightly left and towards the glass, in the back left corner i have added another hide.

the main hide on the right i have moved left so its half on half off the heatpad, the water bowl is now centre and off all heat sources.

humidity is stable at between 63-65% atm, temps on the left are around 28deg, temps on the right i will get tonight.

shew not easy getting all variables right lol, i will be taking all (rtb/burm/beardie) to the vet hopefully on saturday to check for mites / any other problems (dr verspaut)

funny thing last night , she ate on monday evening, so 48hours later thought ok now i can change viv, put my hand in and instant strike, i must have startled her.and i get hiss hiss hiss, so i left her on her side and continued working on the ceramic, threw in a used t shirt on her side to start getting her used to me.

anyways a few hours later she is relaxed, so i try again, and she was fine, go upstairs, put her under top and jersey, so she explores clinbs up onto shoulder leans over back....next thing i hear bbrrrrrtttt *fart* brrrrrtttt, so out she comes back in cage...she pooed on me lol, only a little, more like a wet one haha :lol:
Gearedup
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)