Is this feeding schedule O.K for a two metre burm?

Is this feeding schedule O.K for a two metre burm?

Postby RAGE » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 pm

I have recently been speeking to a couple of Burm breeders all over the world, and their is a huge debate on how much should be fed to a certain size of Burm. For example. I bought a Burm(unknown sex) 6 months ago. She was under a metre. And being fed a large rat every two weeks. I purchased her and converted to my own feeding schedule which is once a week.

She has literraly doubled and more in size. She shed after the first two feedings. And then shedded about once a month. She is now about 15 months old and is over the two metre mark and on a rabbit every 7 days. She is not gaining much girth yet but is getting longer by the week. I get alot of mixed oppinions from my friends about how much I am feeding her. The rabbits are between 1kg and 1.5 kg. They are no thicker than her girth. She puts them down easily and defacates regulary, ans is in tip top condition. Her head is still in preportion to body. So I dont feel I am power feeding.

I would appreciate some replies from experienced keepers with regards to this topic. I have a couple of burms and leaving to buy some more in KZN on friday night! And I need peace of mind that im on top of every husbandry topic!

Bare in mind that this snakes growth was stunted from birth, because of the one large meal every two weeks. She is growing almost as fast as some of my tics! Scary :twisted:

Regards Raymond
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Postby donkeypunch » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 am

Sounds like you're on the right track, when my burms were that age I had a similar feeding schedule. As they get older you'll want to slow it down a little bit as their metabolism will slow with age. I feed my 3.5 year old burms a good meal every 2 weeks (good meal meaning a little lump the day after). Feeding schedule is a topic that can quickly, and easily spin out of control. I hope this helps out also, not saying this is the way to do it this is the way that works for me and my burms seem happy, healthy, and content.
donkeypunch
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:13 am

Burmese pythons can be fed on a weekly schedule quite easily and will grow well. Every now and then if they are in the blue or dont look eager to eat then skip them for a week. That does then the world of good.

I have heard of feeding once every 5 days for 5 months. Then once every seven days for the next seven months, then once every ten days for 10 months then only every two weeks.

That is easy to remember and makes sure the snakes are not overfed. Keep a feeding chart and then you can refer to it in future too.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Burmese pythons (Python molurus)