Flat Lizard

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Flat Lizard

Postby zululand » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:09 am

We were lucky enough to find some of these little flat lizards on a recent herping trip.
http://www.thewetlandpark.co.za

Follow us on Twitter - www.twitter.com/thewetlandpark
zululand
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Flat Lizard

Postby Joh » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I was paging through my reptile guide earlier, and then I wondered if anyone kept the Cape Flat Lizard in captivity. I'm just curious, but, I would really like to know.
Thank You,
Joh
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 pm

I wouldn't mind setting up a breeding project for our local agamas but getting all the collecting and keeping permits might be a bit of a hassle.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:07 pm

F1refly, it might be a hassle, but I think it could be worth it.
I for one would love to see our Agama species established in captivity the right way.

It is something I will look into myself in a couple of years if it still has not happened by then.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 pm

May I ask in which provinces you live? Firefly and predator678
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:05 pm

I am in Limpopo Joh. Why do you ask ?
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:38 pm

I ask, because the KZN legislation states that any indigenous lizards, reptiles, and amphibians can be kept, bred and sold without permits as long as they don't cross provincial lines. That's how I understood it, at least.

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Joh not really. Many species are protected nationally and because KZN falls within SA you cannot just go crazy. Monitor lizards are a prime example as are the Sungazers and Armadillo lizards.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Joh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

I forgot to mention the fact, that they mustn't be T.O.P.S listed. But, as I said, that's just how I understand it, as long as they're not T.O.P.S listed, or on the provincial list of animals that you are not allowed to keep. Also, they must be caught outside Game parks, and Nature reserves.

Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards