Cordylus species ID please

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Cordylus species ID please

Postby Amphibian » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I am having trouble identifying this species of Girdled Lizard I photographed on a recent trip into Mozambique.
It was found about 30km south of Inhambane, almost on the beach.

Initially I was certain it was Cordylus tropidosternum jonesi, a subspecies of the Tropical Girdled Lizard, but my (admittedly very dated) literature on lizards suggests it would have to be more than a couple 100 kms out of its range.
The same refrence has not a single Cordylus species found anywhere close.
I am sure the Lizard guys will be able to provide the answer but I am officially stumped and certainly very curious.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cordylus species ID please

Postby Lillypod » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Whatever species it is, it is adorable!
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Exotenparadies » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 pm

I think you are right. This must be a supspeces of tropidorstenum.
He looks nearly the same es my trpidosternums. Only difference is the stripe on the side.
http://jey1987.magix.net/album/alle-alben/!/oa/6751372-87898737/
Hope you understand my english.
Exotenparadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 am

I agree with C. jonesi.

The number of transverse rows of scales is correct (22-27, yours appears to have 25) and from the second picture the nasals are clearly in contact, which distinguishes this species from others that occur in proximity to the locality.

They have been elevated to full species status and is one of the few girdled Lizards which have remained in the Cordylus genus after the revision.

From "Between a rock and a hard polytomy: Rapid girdled lizards (Squamata: Cordylidae)" 2011

By Edward L. Stanley, Aaron M. Bauer, Todd R. Jackman, William R. Branch, P. Le Fras N. Mouton

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Amphibian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks Wes - Fairly confident now that the animal is in fact C.jonsei, but that would mean this Lizard was photographed nearly 300kms from the most eastern point of its documented range. any thoughts? The area I found it was in my opinion far to remote for it to be a single misplaced individual.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards