Rock monitor

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Rock monitor

Postby Stefan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:20 pm

i just thought it would be best to start posting about the rock monitor seeing that he is not sickly anymore. Does anyone what sustrate i can use? Maybe sterilized TopSoil? i will post picts later.
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dead_puppy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:40 pm

Sterilised top soil is leker for them(no pesticides) Try get a enclosure as big as possible. Have a good basking temp from 30-35C. Take rectangle tiles and stack them up in crosses under basking lamp atleast 4 layers thick to stimulate rock crevices. Keep a moderate humidity. Pretty much anything thats healthy for him can be rolled into a ball, roll it passed him,pretty cool how they chase it(specially boilled eggs) I know you have probably heard this a million times but vary his diet as much as possible.
A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with herps is better.
Dead_puppy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stefan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:30 am

is it okay if he ingests a bit of soil? he realy seems to like the topsoil. I also put some climbing beanches in. I will post pics this after noon
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stefan » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:16 pm

Here are the Pics......................

WHO YOU LOOKING AT..............................

And His Private Penthouse...............

Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:08 pm

He is gorgeous!! You should try him on some tinned dog food. They grow really well on that, bt do not feed him that daily, and you need to give him insects and other things to eat as well.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby gary57 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:35 am

Feed him mice and chicken necks. They love cut worms as well
gary57
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Thageet » Mon May 14, 2007 3:30 pm

Sorry, got in a bit late... Be carefull with the tinned food - Science diet senior cat food (bit expensive but worth it) - the cheep verieties can and do cause metabolic bone disease!!! It looks as if the soil is a bit damp - try keeping it dry; nasty buggs love wet "misty" soil...
Thageet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mania » Mon May 14, 2007 11:40 pm

Do you think that the tin food and earthworms would work for a water monitor aswell. My friends recently got one and its still a baby and it has only been eating four to six pinkies on a friday every week. Its not interested in platannas and gold fish and crabs
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Thageet » Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 am

Most definitely – mix it with raw egg; these guys eats anything marinated with a little bit of egg. But don't make it a staple diet. Mine did take tilapia without any hick-ups from my hand (be carefull!!!) – not too difficult to get hold of. A well balanced diet is key – pinks is fine. Raw dam fish from the big stores cut up in strips with cut up boiled egg mixed with raw egg and from time to time add a little bit of good multi-vitamin supplement. Chicken livers, gizzards, necks and boiled egg mixed with raw egg and a pinch of calcium powder is another option.
Thageet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stefan » Tue May 15, 2007 5:18 pm

the damp soil was when i just emnptied 20 kgs of top soil 4 months ago into the cage it is alot drier now and that little guy is HUGE and deadly!!
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Thageet » Wed May 16, 2007 7:45 am

Nice going!!! Be carefull with overfeeding when he gets bigger...
Thageet
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Indigenous lizards