Ball python - Red belly

Ball python - Red belly

Postby AneryCobra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 pm

Hey all
Recently I've noticed that my male, yearling bp has a reddish tinge on his lower belly. He shed recently and I was wondering if it is due to a stuck shed or...?
Here is a picture I took recently

Hoping someone can help
Kyle
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ball python - Red belly

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm

What substrate are you using?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Cested gecko » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Maybe scale rot(early stage)
Cested gecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 pm

That is also my thoughts, CG.

The edges of some of the scales look very red, which is typical of early stages of scale rot.

I really hope this is not the case though.

I have also seen this colour on snakes due to shed, but as you said, it shed recently.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby AneryCobra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Animal zone ground apricot and peach kernels and komodo small landscape wilderness bark
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Natural substrates like those are notoriously prone to harbour some nasties, especially when kept to humid.

How often are you replacing the substrate?

Also, if the ground apricot kernel is too rough, it can injure the belly of the snake.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby AneryCobra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks for your quick replies. He did shed recently, however it was very much in pieces. I noticed that while shedding, he shifted the substrate and may have been exposed to an uncovered portion of his heat-pad (which I have consequently temporarily moved). I replace the substrate relatively often, it isn't very rough either. Should I take him to see a person/people who have way more experience than me on the subject of ball pythons and see what they have to say? Any other suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Kyle
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RJG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Yes thats what I wanted to suggest. The heat pad does do that I had a similar problem when using newspaper because the heat pad is close to the surface. I always pile the substrate higher at the heatpad side now. I suggest you put the heat pad underneath the cage or tank or whatever you are using. It takes a shed or 2 to get nice scales again and the red will dissappear.
RJG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizardLover » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm

My ball usually does that before shed (the red belly). But sometimes his belly is just red. for no reason. Maybe it's a lack of water or UV(not likely).

This is bothering me. Is there something sharp in the enclosure that could cut the ball or is it maybe a live feeding gone badly?
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AneryCobra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks tipan! I'll make alternate arrangements with my heatpads. Also, i'll take him to get checked out too, best to be on the safe side!
Thanks lizard, I also saw that and will check out for anything sharp, he had his first live feeding that could do anything like that very recently, but that was over pretty quickly, maybe while he was suffocating the rat? He has water, but no UV...
Thanks
Kyle
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Most guys dont realize this, or they simply ignore it, but the normal heat pads running straight from the mains is too hot for any snake.

You NEED a thermostat! It's one of the most important pieces of equipment for any keeper.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby michael » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi AneryCobra. That definitely looks like the start of scale rot. Rather use a drier substrate, too much moisture often causes this. I would switch the substrate and use something nice and dry. You may need an antibacterial treatment, your vet can help you with that.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LizardLover » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm

westley wrote:Most guys dont realize this, or they simply ignore it, but the normal heat pads running straight from the mains is too hot for any snake.

You NEED a thermostat! It's one of the most important pieces of equipment for any keeper.

Very well said.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AneryCobra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey. My substrate is pretty dry, however I will look and see if I can find a drier one. Does anyone know of a vet that deals with reptiles in JHB, preferably around the fourways area?
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:05 pm

westley wrote:Most guys dont realize this, or they simply ignore it, but the normal heat pads running straight from the mains is too hot for any snake.

I'm guessing that only applies to heat pads? Don't you also think its hazardous to put the heat pads inside the enclosure instead of under / over it?

Earlier this year I bought a rack from Byron Zimmerman, and before putting my snakes in it I checked the temps. Turns out it works perfectly without a thermostat and gets the tubs up to a perfect temperature from 23 degrees at night to 28 in the day. While that may be the exception rather than the rule, IMO, I think its better to check the temps first before spending ±R500 on a thermostat (that may only apply to racking systems though).
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)