Albino ball python value?

Albino ball python value?

Postby Izzy » Thu May 23, 2013 8:33 am

Hi gents, off the bat if this is an inappropriate place to ask this question i apologize. Yesterday i was trolling google for ball pythons for sale and came across a add for a guy that is selling albino ball python "babies" for R1500 each, this smell very dodgy to me because i expect an albino to be worth much more, but as i have very little experience as to what morphs sells for what prices i would kindly ask your opinions here.

I did however engage him out of pure interest that it might be scam.

In my initial mail to him i simply asked if he had any available his reply is as follows:

Hello,thanks for your interest towards my snakes.They are three weeks old today and has just taken their first meal.They are 4 snakes at the moment.
They ate by them self and where not forced to eat.where about are you located?have you ever kept a Python before?
They go for R1500 each.Please feel free to contact me if need be.
Thanks

Who speaks like that? And is it not a bit late in the season to have ball that young? Anyway i replied this morning:

Hi Colos,

I reside in Pretoria, and yes i have kept them before. What would their current weight be? Are they ready for collection, if so what is your address so i may view them and perhaps purchase one form you.

Regards,

Your thoughts please.

Here is a link to the add:http://benoni.adsafrica.co.za/item/114928/
2x Albino Radiated Rat Snakes - Izzy & Yoka
2x Morelia viridis Nakita & Little one
1x Python regius Spider
1x Python regius Cinnamon
1x Python regius Het Albino
1x Python regius Yellow belly
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Albino ball python value?

Postby scally » Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 am

Hey bud that does sound a lil dodge , there is many scams on the net especially regarding bp's , I know just recently there was a post about scams showing all the emails they use - but generally if you chat to the person you catch them out for example they want a deposit paid into an account and they will send the snake to you , rather than you picking it up with money in hand , if all sounds well make sure you meet somewhere you know and is safe with lots of people and don't go alone ... Just aiding in your favour ... But yea ask for pictures , sometimes they use pictures from the great and al so easy internet so just check the pics aren't on there but generally if he is willing to meet you somewhere sends you pics and will be prepared to exchange cash for snake in person then go with gut feel ??
scally
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Thu May 23, 2013 9:02 am

Easy way is ask for a picture of the snake with a piece of paper with today's date on it.
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Thu May 23, 2013 9:25 am

lol good one lillypod if push come to shove i will give that i go. :twisted: He did however add 3 pics of the snakes but i will try and verify them first. I will try and load them up.
1x Python regius Spider
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Asher » Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 am

Definitely a scam. He is asking where you are situated so that he can say he is miles away and will send the snakes to you after you make an EFT.
There are so many of these guys trying thier luck, and I'm sure they catch people out.
Lilypod made a good suggestion, also try googling his phone number, you will see all the other scams he is running.
An Albino Ball should sell for upward of R7000.
4.11 Ball Python
Asher
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 am

If i did this right here is the so called pics of the snakes that are up for sale....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1x Python regius Spider
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am

just found this add from 30th of april and they were 3 weeks in that add(http://www.junkmail.co.za/pets-for-sale ... e-26313207).
It is definetly a scam you can do a reverse image search and find those pics where he stole them from.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Thu May 23, 2013 10:39 am

Yep i agree fully, funny how the snakes is only 3 weeks old but in the pics witch i googled and found on other web sites, they look much older.....but it's kinda fun to make this dumbass think he's got me on the hook.

He's replied to my mail this morning:

colos Tola
10:27 AM (8 minutes ago)

to me
am located in Cape Town.Can you come to Cape Town?Do you accept shipment?Can I ship them to you?
Thanks

Lol here we go.... nect he would probably ask for a deposit or somthing. I replied:

Hi Colos,

Funny your ad says you are in Benoni, did you have finger trouble when you placed the add? Can you please provide me with a photo of the snake with a newspaper with today's date, you know how it is there is so many scammers out there i would just like to authenticate the pics.

Regards,

I expect no reply, but let's see how cocky he is.....
1x Python regius Spider
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptilefeeders » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 am

I have found all 3 of those images that is located on sites in the USA. If you look at this one site you will see one of the pictures. It is the same as the third picture that you posted.
http://brucepets.tripod.com
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Thu May 23, 2013 2:59 pm

90% of the time a scammer will include a question about your reptile keeping experience in their first message to you, they're trying to act as if they care for the animals but for me its a dead give away. Giving too much info, such as that they were not force fed, is also a give away.
True reptile sellers will question your keeping experience as well but not in this fashion and not normally in their first message.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Izzy » Thu May 23, 2013 3:40 pm

As expected, after my last email, i have not heard of him all day and i don't think i ever will, but if for nothing else this should serve as a warning for other members on the forum. The old saying will and shall always be: if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Sad though that a thing as helpful as the internet can be twisted in becoming something quite dangerous in a predator hands.

Anyway thanks to all that took part in my bid to show a fraud for what he is, even i learnt another trick or two to separate truth from fiction today.
1x Python regius Spider
1x Rainbow Boa
Izzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jaroo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:44 am

I know this is an old thread but thought I would add to it as I have recently joined.

A friend of mine also enquired about an add for albinos for a good price and was sent the same picture. I have also seen a few adds on gumtree with bp"s for a good price and then see that the location is listed as one place and the add says something else. I have contacted a few of these out of interest, one said an albino and 2 normals for sale and the pics he sent me were of an albino with a Mojave and a pastave... not a bad deal for R3500... wonder how many people actually get caught out. If you call the numbers it is usually an African man who answers and he can't actually speak English.

Was an add last week for a pied pair for R800... with tank and accessories nogal! maybe just someone allergic to money or something.

Typing in the name of the courier company they want to use into google often gives a warning as well if you let them lead you that far.
jaroo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Conbizzle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 pm

I am so so glad I came across this thread. I nearly bought from this guy. I also could not believe it at first. I'm so thankful that other people have experienced this and helped me out. He also sent me similar pictures. He gave me his name as Martin Thembise, his bank account was N Zacharia and his two email addresses were from Colos Manyaka and Simo Boris.
Conbizzle
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)