Something Special? T- Albino

Something Special? T- Albino

Postby IanM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Hatched out some really light T- Albinos, and would like to get some some opinions.

The pairing was T+ x T+, I didn't think that they were het for anything else and was expecting T+ hatchlings. To my surprise, they hatched out 50/50, T- and T+.
Making both the parents het T-, pretty cool since I don't think they are related. I don't think they have any Hypo in them, but I haven't put any of them to hypo yet to prove this. I have spoken to some people and have been told that you can't get an animal that's visual for both albinos.

What do you think? ...

02.jpg

03.jpg

01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Something Special? T- Albino

Postby Westley Price » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Cant help you out on the genetics, but those are both stunning snakes.

I asked a related question a while back and got a single response, which was satisfactory to me, that T- overrides the T+ expression because what makes T+ unique is the fact that that Tyrosinase remains, but then the T- gene removes that again. So you end up with just a T- albino.

http://sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 52&t=22525

Off topic, and you are more than welcome not to answer, but do you have trouble at all with your permits in the WC? You seem to have and breed and lot of BHS, so I was just wondering if things are a lot more streamlined now.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby IanM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:30 pm

Never had any issues getting permits issued by Cape Nature, other than them taking their time. Most of my animals have been bought from KZN in which case I didn't need any export permits from KZN for Cape Nature to issue me import permits. The ones that I have acquired in the WC have come with their transport permits. I have a couple from from Port Elizabeth I had to get permits issued there before Cape Nature would issue me the import permit....

So yeah it can be frustrating, but as long as they are not WC and CB, you shouldn't have any issues getting permits, esp if its from a responsible breeder
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:36 pm

That's lekker.

I studied down in the Cape and permits were often a problem for me.

Perhaps because I was a broke, impatient student, but nevertheless, glad things are better now.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Chantel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:27 am

Hi Ian
I would just like to rectify something you mentioned. KZN does require export permits for indigenous reptiles, but not for exotics. They require import permits for exotics, but not for indigenous. This is according to their 1974 Ordinance which is still in use.

Cheers
Gavin
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby IanM » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks Gavin,

Don't want to be breaking any laws. I normally just ask CN what they need for them to issue me the permit and I try and get it. So far they have never asked me for any permits from KZN and only from the other provinces, to bring an animal into the WC... But there are also a lot of "blacklisted" species that CN dosnt want in the WC, and this can change overnight, which is very disappointing and really costly to a lot of keepers and breeders. Imagine being told one day you can have an species and then a week later being told that it's blacklisted.
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:24 pm

I would personally just prove out that those guys have hypo in them, its like the male you borrowed me, it was a unknown het for albino and then it turns out my het albino female was a het hypo/ghost/anery as well.

When the first Hypo/ghost/anery was proven out they were bred with albinos so originals that was sold too the public were hets.
Its not financially worthwhile to sell hets so the majority are just sold as normals or as the visual morph.

Westley Price wrote:Cant help you out on the genetics, but those are both stunning snakes.

I asked a related question a while back and got a single response, which was satisfactory to me, that T- overrides the T+ expression because what makes T+ unique is the fact that that Tyrosinase remains, but then the T- gene removes that again. So you end up with just a T- albino.

http://sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 52&t=22525

I always assumed that T+ would override T- just shows, but I never really bothered breeding the two strains together.

Westley Price wrote:Off topic, and you are more than welcome not to answer, but do you have trouble at all with your permits in the WC? You seem to have and breed and lot of BHS, so I was just wondering if things are a lot more streamlined now.

The permits are easy if the seller is willing to wait, we have no problem importing animals from other provinces.
I had some trouble in the past when I imported exotics with a letter from the person in KZN and then once I had inspection the official tried to fine me for taking the snake out of KZN illegally but its something easily sorted out.

Chantel wrote:Hi Ian
I would just like to rectify something you mentioned. KZN does require export permits for indigenous reptiles, but not for exotics. They require import permits for exotics, but not for indigenous. This is according to their 1974 Ordinance which is still in use.
Cheers
Gavin

Thanks Gavin I found the orinance online (https://www.unodc.org/res/cld/document/ ... inance.pdf)
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby IanM » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:20 am

That also reminds me Rian.... how are those hatchlings from that Hypo?
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)