2010 Baby White Lipped Tree Vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris

Re: 2010 Baby White Lipped Tree Vipers (Cryptelytrops albola

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 pm

These are so cute when they are small. Very pretty.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby justinvBreda » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Glad they are settling in nicely Graeme!
With regards to your dogs Carla, I know of a incident where a Jack Russel was bitten in the top lip by a 30cm White lip viper, the dog swelled up substantially and after receiving a rehydrating injection from a vet the dog made a full recovery within 3days, this would not of happened however if the cage was secure.

The issue lies with your confidence handling the venomous snake. One needs to be confident as well as wary of the consequences associated with a laps in concentration. When people get over confident with handling venomous snakes that's where errors occur and the person gets bitten in my opinion. When I handle some of my venomous snakes I am sweating, breathing hard and have a dry mouth afterwards, not because I am scared to handle them or incompetent to do so I am just very aware of the consequences if a do not concentrate 100%.

Its a decision you must make one day whether or not you want to open your doors to venomous animals.
justinvBreda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:59 am

Okay so after a looong think I decided...not to get them now :( . Even though I believe I am ready, my snake setups are'nt ready for venomous. I currently use my second bedroom as my snake room and it's already quite full. I'm rather going to wait until we move in a bigger house and I can design a perfect enclosure for him, which is totally escape proof and best suited for his needs. So until then it's just the boas and ball pythons.

Thanks for all the info though, I will be using it when I get one which will probably be sometime next year.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leon_Kun » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:03 am

Carla you can get a reticulated or burmese?
1.2.0 Python molurus bivittatus
0.0.1 Epicrates Cenchria Maurus
2.4.0 B. c. constrictor
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Python Regius
1.1.0 Python reticulatus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
0.0.1 Varanus exanthematicus
Just for the love of reptiles.
Leon_Kun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:06 am

oooh they get way too big! But believe me as soon as I have the space that burmese is coming. At the moment designing a big display enclosure for my boas that wil go in my living room as I already ordered another boa :roll:
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:08 am

Please read this article on venom regarding "allergic reaction and Anaphylaxis"

Quote: "Symptoms of an allergic reaction may be minor or severe, local or systemic. They may include local redness and itching, or itchy welts that appear over the whole body. The raised area that appears around a mosquito bite is an example of a local response. But I have personally seen severe allergic reactions that caused a person's face to swell to cartoonish proportions. However, this did not constitute anaphylaxis. So let's return to Type I reactions since they are potentially the most severe, and define anaphylaxis."

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/articles/97
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby deleray » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:21 am

When I handle some of my venomous snakes I am sweating, breathing hard and have a dry mouth afterwards, not because I am scared to handle them

Those are typically the symptoms of nervousness :roll:
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:33 am

Eyed lizard you said "For one, if you are allergic to bee stings... you will be in allot of pain and guaranteed swelling!"

Nowhere is their proof that the one will be a precursor for the other. It is an assumption.

Pain is not going to be different whether you show an allergic reaction or not as this is not a symptom of an allergy.

"Itchy welts that appear over the whole body." are not a "swelling" as you mention and "allergic reactions that caused a person's face to swell to cartoonish proportions" would can cause the pharynx to occlude which is a life threatening situation and is one of the leading causes of death in Papua New Guinea after snake bites.

If your advice is bordering on dangerous we will restrict your posts!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pituophis » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:22 pm

eyed_lizard wrote:Very nice Graeme congrats :D
cvanvollenstee, the bite can be nasty it all depends on numerous factors on how your system reacts to the venom.
For one, if you are allergic to bee stings... you will be in allot of pain and guaranteed swelling!

What I think was meant here is this.
If you are allergic to bee stings, you will have a bad reaction.
If you do not have you can develop a reaction or have no symptoms whatsoever.

It depends from one person to another.

I think the whole thing is based on "if"
?
Pituophis

Postby eyed_lizard » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Ok, granted I could have stated it better, I didn't mean to say it as a definite reaction.
eyed_lizard

Postby froot » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:23 pm

You must really think we are stupid. I'll leave BV to handle this.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby michael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:11 pm

Eyed lizard and Pituophis I think you guys are treading on very shaky ground. These are venomous snakes that are quite capable of producing medically significant envenomations in humans. None of the papers I have read ever mentioned allergic reaction as a required catalyst for a serious envenomation in C albolabris bites. These animals are dangerous and should be given the respect they deserve!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Eyed lizard and Pituophis are the same person. Same IP and same operating system so it is not rocket science to see who he really is. This is the same person known as warbot or Warren Botha who has been restricted before.

Expressing opinions that could lead to death or serious injury are not a joke and as a result this person will be restricted once again and probably banned.

He has flaunted Nature Conservation laws in the past and is trying to do it again. We have had numerous complaints about him.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby glencoco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Adding to that, the registration and timing of posts of both profiles are within 30 minutes of each other. Enough proof.
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:36 pm

glencoco wrote:Adding to that, the registration and timing of posts of both profiles are within 30 minutes of each other. Enough proof.

Sorry, I meant that the registration of the new one was one the same day as the reply of the old one, And the time between those 2 are that of the time it takes to get a profile registered and activated for posting.
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)