How many White lips per enclosure

How many White lips per enclosure

Postby wors143 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

Hi all.

I have looked all over the net and can not really get an answer on how many white lips can be put together per enclosure, I have read about only having 1 male as a rule and 2 females are also ok

Also read about cannabis and how it works.... oops wrong thread and forum.. " JUST A JOKE " sorry meant to say cannibalism. What is your experience around cannibalism and when will it be safe to house snakes together. Read that Whitelips like company of other snakes and like to cuddle.

I currently have 2 females about 2 months old in small plastic containers and will be moving over to big enclosure as and when they grow bigger. Doing my homework in meantime.
So far i am assist feeding them and no troubles and they are doing really well.
wors143
SA Reptiles Member

Re: How many White lips per enclosure

Postby Whitelipp » Fri May 10, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Wors

Ive successfully kept and bred whitelips. Always think of what the snakes natural behavioral patterns are.
In the wild they will not be in groups. They do not "cuddle" in the wild, but if you have a space issue rather keep adult animals together in pairs. Yes larger snakes will eat neonates and i have seen neonates bite each other as they respond to movement.
As for assist feeding its fine to get them feeding and get them to size but always try to get them feeding on their own first before you assist feed.

I have seen that keeping neonates in large enclosures can be done if you have ample foliage in the cage so that they feel safe. Then you can place pinkies in little bowls under their normal perch. They will then take the pinks out of the small tubs.

Females do outgrow males and just keep an eye on them. I was fortunate enough to not have lost any males to females being aggro.
Not sure where you are from but if you need any help just give a shout.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wors143 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 am

Thank you so much for the feedback Whitelipp. I am based in randburg. I got these 2 and they are tiny hence me assist feeding till they get bigger. Now that you put it in perspective about snakes being solitary only meeting to mate i will house these snakes seperately.

So far it has been an amazing experience with these little ones, the feedings and just obeserving them.
wors143
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri May 10, 2013 10:22 am

They are amazing to keep... I loved my whitelips. I have sold all of mine when I moved to Jhb unfortunately.
Seeing them feed on their own is something you can look forward to.
They are very rewarding to keep and makes amazing display animals.
Just stay away from the sharp end.
I wont mind getting a pair of them again.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)