White Lipped Tree Viper Babies

White Lipped Tree Viper Babies

Postby ExoticReptiles » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:59 pm

So on thursday I came home to a very nice surprise. My female White lipped tree viper dropped her babies while I was at work. She dropped 14 but one was dead at the bottom of the cage.
Will post pics as soon as I have taken some
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.8 White Lip Tree Vipers
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Re: White Lipped Tree Viper Babies

Postby wadekilian » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Wrong section buddy. They're listed on the forum under exotic highly venomous snakes for a reason. While they aren't 'Taipan' deadly, you posting this under exotic mildly venomous snakes leads me to believe you underestimate them. I've heard they make antivenin for them in their natural range which should tell you something.

Not taking away from the accomplishment though, congrats and well done. Can't wait to see pictures of them! Could you post pictures of the adults as well if you can?

**Moved**
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ExoticReptiles » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Ok then if they are that highly venomous then why do we not have antivenom in SA? And why has no one died from this snake before? As far as I have seen, on this site especially of people being bit all that happens is extreme pain, swelling and maybe some complications with your liver.
Not trying to be sarcastic but that is what I have learned of them since I had them. If I am wrong the sorry for this, but from what I know about them is that. Believe me I do not underestimate them, I am very careful with them, even if they won't kill me I do not want one to bit me.
Will post pics as well as soon as I get some nice ones, my camera is up to cr@p and taking bad photos.
I will post of the mother as well as the father passed away about a month ago unfortunately so I am looking for someone who will be willing to swop me a new male for a baby or two.
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Just something interesting I found regarding the venom of tree vipers.

http://www.toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?fuseaction=main.snakes.display&mode=PrintFriendly&id=SN0088
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm sure anyone living in S.A that has been to a hospital or seen the state of our country can figure out why we don't have anti-venom for most of the exotic species kept.

It's a bit of a relieve to hear that you're not underestimating them as someone (more than one actually) has died from their bite before and I quote form an old study; "Transactions of the royal society of of tropical medicine and hygiene (1990) 84 p.866-874":

- "Bites among tea pickers in Java were not uncommon and a fatal case was described by KOPSTEIN (1928, 1930)."
-"Two elderly patients died of intracranial haemorrhage"
-"...had systemic bleeding, defibrination, gastro-intestinal symptoms including yellowish watery diarrhea, melaena, vomiting and haematemesis, and one developed acute renal failure which required haemodialysis."
-"ROMER (1963) cited a reference to cases of children dying after bites by T.albolabris in Hong Kong."

And a nice quote from "Soogarun S, Choewbamrungkiat M, Wiwanitkit V, Suwansaksri J, Nopanitaya W, PradniwatP, Palasuwan A, Chanprasert S. Study on the effect of green pit viper venom (Trimeresurus albolabris) on platelet morphology by flow cytometry. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2006;3:5"

-"Its venom has thrombin-like effect in vitro and causes a defibrination syndrome in vivo[2] and the clinical features of this venomous snake bite vary from asymptomatic to fatal bleeding."

I think that's enough to get my message through and it's not by any means an attack on you ExoticReptiles. I'm just putting it out there so other potential keepers don't fall into the "it's mildly venomous and cheap so let's buy it" mindset. I've exhibited at many expos where uninformed customers told me others say their bite is "just like a herald snake's bite" !

Be careful and do proper research before buying a venomous snake guys.

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 am

I did say there in their natural range. There isn't no antivenin because hospitals doesn't stock exotic antivenin, not because its 'mildly venomous'. Why would they spend a small fortune on antivenin when its for a tiny minority? If I'm not mistaken, the only exotic antivenin we have here is for Echis sp., but that's only because its made here by SAVP. Extreme pain, swelling and liver complications does not sound mild to me.

I don't wanna take anything away from you, so I'll leave it there :-) good luck with getting the babies feeding btw!
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Congrats, waiting for some pictures.
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:34 pm

ExoticReptiles wrote:Ok then if they are that highly venomous then why do we not have antivenom in SA? And why has no one died from this snake before? As far as I have seen, on this site especially of people being bit all that happens is extreme pain, swelling and maybe some complications with your liver.
Not trying to be sarcastic but that is what I have learned of them since I had them. If I am wrong the sorry for this, but from what I know about them is that. Believe me I do not underestimate them, I am very careful with them, even if they won't kill me I do not want one to bit me.
Will post pics as well as soon as I get some nice ones, my camera is up to cr@p and taking bad photos.
I will post of the mother as well as the father passed away about a month ago unfortunately so I am looking for someone who will be willing to swop me a new male for a baby or two.

They are bloody nasty to get bitten by buddy! Every bite is different. Every victim is different. When you get bitten let us know how it went.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ExoticReptiles » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:51 pm

Ok I see the point and yes I am not trying to prove anyone wrong or anything I am just stating what I have been told and what I have researched. Thanks for everyone who added info on these snakes cause now I am more informed. But believe me I do not take them lightly, I am very careful and serpent I do not want to let you know how it goes when I get bitten cause I do not want to get bit by them LOL.
Thanks again to everyone it really helps that we have people willing to educate others on theses things. I am no expert on them, they are my first hots ever, so I am learning everyday and I appreciate all the advise that you can give.
Will post pix as soon as I get some nice once, but in the meantime this weekend is the first try at feeding as most of them have already shed so will see how the feeding goes.
Exotic Reptiles
www.exoticreptiles.co.za
3.3.0 Cornsnake
1.1.0 Ball Pythons
0.1.0 Emperor scorpions
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
39 Cornsnake eggs
ExoticReptiles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:07 pm

I have recently acquired a pair of these little guys, After all the stuff I have read on them and there bites I have taken to extreme caution when handling them. you may laugh at my method but I feel safer doing it.

Firstly these are the first venomous snakes my girl friend and I have ever had so I put my bike helmet on, racing leather jacket and thick racing leather gloves and then handle them with the snake hook. These snakes are extremely fast from what I have seen, from stand still to leaping out of what ever container I place them in, in a split second. they very rarely bit but that's probably because I am wrapped in thick leather from head to toe so they probably don't see any normal body heat.

This way I feel safe moving them in and out of there enclosures for cleaning or what ever it is and if this makes other people laugh then so be it...I do not want to loose a digit or worse!
Saturn
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)