Best starter Cobra

Best starter Cobra

Postby Darius Basson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi

Can anybody tell me, what is the most docile starter cobra?

I have done venomous snake courses that includes handling and venomous snake bite & treatment (FGASA venomous snake course at African reptiles&Venom), and I had aggressive snakes before and I have good Cobra and Adder handling experience.

Will appreciate any help.

Kind regards
Darius
Bristow Academy Inc.
USAF 23d Flying Training Squadron
Darius Basson
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Best starter Cobra

Postby Darius Basson » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Or should I rather go for the adders?

Kind regards
Darius
Bristow Academy Inc.
Darius Basson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachesis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I take it you want to keep Cobras from Africa rather than Asiatic Naja sp?
Lachesis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reynard » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 pm

False water cobra
1.2 Red Tail Boas

It's my life. Let me live it.
Reynard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:34 pm

When it comes to docile cobras you will have to look for an docile individual, not species. Stay away from spitters ,they are not fun to keep or clean up after.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:53 pm

I
Darius Basson wrote:Hi

Can anybody tell me, what is the most docile starter cobra?

I have done venomous snake courses that includes handling and venomous snake bite & treatment (FGASA venomous snake course at African reptiles&Venom), and I had aggressive snakes before and I have good Cobra and Adder handling experience.

If you have handled cobras you should know which species are abit more aggro
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vuduman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:07 pm

I would recommend a baby cobra-if you are going to go that route...My first cobra was a baby snouted cobra.Its best to learn how to work with them from when they are small.Eventually the ballgame will be completely different when you have to tail them as they get bigger and they see everything as food.Best to go for a local cobra too.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:20 pm

get a rinkhals imo. I find bigger cobras at around 1.5m easiest to handle, small cobras can be wriggly and unpredictable.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lachesis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 am

Naja annulifera

I've got a few friends with these, and they are quite calm. To the extent they don't even hood anymore...

But to be honest, i don't think it's a good idea to get anything docile. Make sure your handling skills are up to scratch, and get something you want, not because it's less docile. If you are worrying about how docile the cobra will be, you're not ready to have one.

Just don't start with a Forest Cobra!
Lachesis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Viper Wade » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:34 am

it_bit_me wrote:When it comes to docile cobras you will have to look for an docile individual, not species. Stay away from spitters ,they are not fun to keep or clean up after.

Agreed.
See you later alligator
In awhile crocodile
Viper Wade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Darius Basson » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks guys!
Bristow Academy Inc.
Darius Basson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

There's a thread on the forum that discusses this exact topic at length.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Lachesis.. Im sorry but your friends Naja annulifera are an exeption. Snouties are not by any means a good starter cobra as they get big and can be a handfull. If i had the choice of handling a cobra that hoods or a cobra that doesnt hood, I would choose the one that hoods every single time. Easier to predict what they are going to do, also their maneuverability is lower when thay are hooded.

Forest cobra...are. you. mad! Forest cobras are some of the largest cobras in the southern african region, also some of the fastest. Their large size means that they have a long strike range and a high venom yield. The forest cobra that I work with is the only venemous snake that I am properly scared of. I respect our black mabas greatly for their ability to kill but that forest takes the cake. Almost three metres of muscle, aggression and venom.

In my opinion keeping venemous is like starting back at square one. When you get your first snake its usually something non venemous and easy to manage. You dont go out and buy emerald tree boas and retics for your first snakes. Now with the venemous its a similar situation. Start at square one and work your experience up to what you want to get.

You see Rolands Ppic, with his texas rat. That is the ideal situation. Something big, non venemous and aggressive that you can sharpen your skills with.

Just my 2c

Good luck :D
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lampie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Jamster wrote:Lachesis.. Im sorry but your friends Naja annulifera are an exeption. Snouties are not by any means a good starter cobra as they get big and can be a handfull. If i had the choice of handling a cobra that hoods or a cobra that doesnt hood, I would choose the one that hoods every single time. Easier to predict what they are going to do, also their maneuverability is lower when thay are hooded.

Forest cobra...are. you. mad! Forest cobras are some of the largest cobras in the southern african region, also some of the fastest. Their large size means that they have a long strike range and a high venom yield. The forest cobra that I work with is the only venemous snake that I am properly scared of. I respect our black mabas greatly for their ability to kill but that forest takes the cake. Almost three metres of muscle, aggression and venom.

In my opinion keeping venemous is like starting back at square one. When you get your first snake its usually something non venemous and easy to manage. You dont go out and buy emerald tree boas and retics for your first snakes. Now with the venemous its a similar situation. Start at square one and work your experience up to what you want to get.

You see Rolands Ppic, with his texas rat. That is the ideal situation. Something big, non venemous and aggressive that you can sharpen your skills with.

Just my 2c

Good luck :D

Or you can go for a big mole snake.
Angolan coral snakes pair
Ball python female
White lip tree viper female
Californian king snake male
lampie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Yup, either molesnake or a big rat snake(usually asian ratsnakes are more aggressive). Both can be brilliant practice. They get big, they are aggressive and they are non venemous. :)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)