My Very First Hot

Re: My Very First Hot

Postby armata » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:44 am

Probably the most difficult part of keeping pitvipers is access to antivenom (Crofab) which is a vital part of protocol.

Also dealing with arboreals such as whitelips ain't nothing like a wound up WDB.
Good luck.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Hustler » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:59 am

I googled it for you:
csserp.com

Again if I was rash in my actions I do apologise for that.

I hear what you're saying legless, and thank you for your vote of confidence. I've been keeping snakes for around 3 years now, I've got 3 Red Tail Boa's(bci), 2 Burmese Pythons, and the newest addition was this little girl. I've also had a ball and my starter snakes were 3 corn's. All in all I've kept 11 snakes.

I'm definately game for a course! But preferably after the 20th of this month.

Armata thanks for the info, I was also told that by the guy who I got the snake from. What else could I get that's around the same handling procedures as a wdb? A Copperhead maybe?
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:22 am

Okay so it seems that I will have to be doing a handling course a bit early than what I intended. I think it will be the 10th of October but Bushbaby will finalise that.

The protocol for WDB is rather useless because there is very little anyone can do for you without antivenom. You should know this and thus make sure you never get into a situation where you might get bitten. This is the only time that I would advocate a cage with a lid opening on top instead of in front.

I will change the handling part of the course to specifically include caging for various venomous snakes as well. I do not want to promote their keeping but rather assist in the safety of people who already have them or intend keeping them in any case.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Well I guess BV is right, and do I assume that you guys keeping New World Pitvipers do not have antivenom.

'Do not get bitten' will never sit right with any protocol.

Commercial enterprises do not stock the antivenom for most exotics, inc rattlers, king cobra. One reason I was given from one was 'well we would be expected to supply it to private people in emergencies'. Which sounds a bit mean, but then if they have forked out thousands of Rand on antivenom and had no hope of it being replaced, well you can sympathise.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Copperbob » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:13 pm

Nice little fellow you got there huslter. You do have to start somewhere and I suppose the fact that its a baby could work in your favour. I got a pair of copperheads as my first hots. One thing we should have added to that potential venomous snake forum was a list of recommended first hots. At least with Copperheads your chances my be a bit better.
Good luck and stay safe.

@mgiddings Don't be so sensitive and rather learn form your mistakes. I didn't read one comment saying you shouldn't post anymore, just be careful what you say. Everyone apologised too.
We all make mistakes on this forum and learn when we were wrong. Try a lighter approach in future at least until you have some valuable experience.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi guys sorry for all my comments etc. I just got a little angry and didn't really think before I posted so sorry about that. I think I will help where I can but leave all the venemous advice etc. to the experts.

Thanks again guys

always learning, one step at a time :)
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Well as I said to you previously hustler congrats on the little guy and he is awesome.
This did not turn out to be bad post and remember hustler birds flock but eagles fly alone...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks for the pic Hustler. Looks gorgeous! I am jealous. Maybe you can get a male for her when she is older and then post pics of the babies. I think they will all look stunning.

BV, Put me down for the course. Have to do it. Will be interesting to hear about the correct caging etc. I am still saying no to getting hots, but might lean towards yes if I am 100% sure my kids will be safe. Then it will most probable be something like a whitelip and not anything as interesting as Hustler's little girl. Like I said: I am jealous!

Good luck with her and be safe.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks BV, really looking forward to the course and learning. I guess exercising caution at all times is a big neccesity now that you mention the antivenom issue.

Thanks Copperbob, I think that a section like that might be a good thing as well.

Lol nicely said whitelipp.

LeglessDragon thanks again, I also think that when she's older I'll really consider getting her a mate. She still hasn't eaten her fuzzy's so I'll try again this coming weekend and hope for the best.

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Good luck with the feeding.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Reptard » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Ok, first off, nice snake hustler! Congrats!

Secondly though, heres my 2cents: I have seen first hand, some of the most experienced venomous keepers, handlers etc, make mistakes with really dangerous snakes, so I think what it boils right down to guys, and what Im sure everyone is trying to get at, is: JUST BE CAREFUL!!! AND INFORMED!!!

:-D
Reptard's Reptiles
Where even reptards are loved! ;-)
Reptard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 pm

:cry: Some sad news, ma lil baby died last monday :( hoping to get an autopsy done soon. She never ate any of the fuzzy's or pinks that I put in with her also. Really did just break my heart when I found her :cry:

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:45 pm

So sorry to hear. She would have had a good home.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Really sorry to hear that, please let us know wat the autopsy says.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Ah, sorry to hear that hustler :(
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

PreviousNext