My Very First Hot

Re: My Very First Hot

Postby Hustler » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:53 pm

I've spoken to a couple of guys on the forum about Western's, a couple of guys who have and still are dealing with venomous snakes, I didn't just wake up in the morning and decide that today I want to get something quite as dangerous as this. Mgiddings I'm sorry if I maybe acted rash with my comment but sometimes you have to think about the things that you say to people like saying,
I'm just saying for your own good.

aren't things I want to hear from someone who firstly, I dont know and secondly, doesn't have the experience of keeping venomous snakes. Also time spent on the forum is, in a way, also experience gained through reading about other peoples experience with different snakes and how they handle situations. There's some guys that have kept snakes for donkey years and didn't know certain things that they read about on the forum.

Wolf I'm also young but it all boils down to respect, you dont just go up to random people and tell them things that you haven't had 1st hand experience with and are just going on what you've heard. There's ways of going about doing things than to just tell someone what you 'think' and hope that they're fine with it.

Bad part from me was not doing the course before I got the snake, I understand that, cool. But I'm making an effort in learning more and making prvisions to doing the course! I dont need anyones verbal cheap shots to make me see my errors!

Still loving the snake though :D and if I offend/offended anyone, those aren't my intentions.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:13 pm

Well then since everyone here seems to think that I should stop posting in all topics since I don't know anything.

Then I will stop posting on the site.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I dont normally speak my mind but I have just decided to this evening

Mgiddings - I belong to a few forums both local and international and believe that this forum has a wealth of knowledge based here. If people sit down and listen to what the people say bout keeping etc you can learn alot of info but yes agreed this can't be mistaken as first hand knowledge from a course and practical handling.

Now back to topic, I have got a few western diamond backs in my private collection and it can all be traced back to my first hot, to be exact my entire collection is HOTS except for maybe 5 or 6 non-venomous.

MY FIRST ANIMAL I KEPT WAS NOT ONLY NON-VENOMOUS BUT ALSO A PAIR OF COTTONMOUTHS!!

And I have my own opinion as what should be a first hot but yeah!!
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:14 pm

typing error
"MY FIRST ANIMAL I KEPT WAS NOT ONLY NON-VENOMOUS BUT ALSO A PAIR OF COTTONMOUTHS!!"
should say

MY FIRST ANIMAL I KEPT WAS NOT ONLY VENOMOUS BUT ALSO A PAIR OF COTTONMOUTHS!!
------------"A GUY stands up for HIMSELF -BUT- A MAN stnands up for OTHERS"------------"Si vis pacem, para bellum"------------
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Hustler wrote:Wolf I'm also young but it all boils down to respect, you dont just go up to random people and tell them things that you haven't had 1st hand experience with and are just going on what you've heard. There's ways of going about doing things than to just tell someone what you 'think' and hope that they're fine with it.

Agreed, no offence taken, oh and nice snake by the way ;)
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Aggg mgiddings dont play the helpless kitten stuck in a tree, just listen to what other people have to say and learn. Dont try to always be right then get defensive when you're not man. Enjoy the forum!

Hahaha Death Skull, nice to have brought out the other side of you ;) . Do you still have the same pair of cottonmouths that you bought?

Thanks Wolf, I'm just in awe of her haha.

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 pm

mgiddings wrote:Well then since everyone here seems to think that I should stop posting in all topics since I don't know anything.
Then I will stop posting on the site.

Every person's comment adds to the dynamics of this site.
Your input is always welcome Mgiddings.

You guys will drive me to prozac. :smt021
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Something i don't think anyone has asked yet, hustler have you ever handled a venomous snake? Or a WDB rattler for that matter?
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Hustler, yes I still have the buggers!! They are my babies and will NEVA sell them
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 pm

Yes Sunday was my first time handling the WDB with the guy I bought it from, he showed me the do's an dont's and gave me pointers and pushed me to take the course also.

Nice Death-Skull, that bond of first snake dies hard if it dies at all. I dont think I'll be selling this little girl anytime soon :) .

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 pm

He's a very helpfull guy might I add.

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:06 am

Ok thats great. I agree you need to start somewhere. But i feel a rattler wasn't exactly the best place to start, but atleast its a baby. But Good luck, and please be safe.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks Serpy. I'll keep handling on a feeding basis only and get something like a whitelip to be more familiar with handling.

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Death-Skull » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 am

Hustler - 1 thing I was always taught , Only handle the animal when you have to
Death-Skull
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:23 am

Nice Diamond back. You mentioned it was het albino? How does a albino Diamond back look? Curious.

Becareful of how things are said.
All intentions were meant good,
not meant to offend.

If a newbie reads this post they could get the impression it is ok to get a hot first. They do not realise that you have put in the time and done the research and may think that the diamond back is your first snake. We against getting hots continuously on this site for those that have not done courses etc, so for a newbie reading your post they can be forgiven for trying to take a stand. I checked some of your previous posts till about a year back and can see that you are diffinitly 'geared up' for moving on to hots. For the record for us newbies: How long you been herping hustler? What other herps do you have in your collection? I think answers to those questions will clear this all up in a second and show any future newbies that experiance does count.

By the way - When is the next course BV? Thinking I need a more 'brain wake up' as we going to a place near Kruger National Park (specifically Marloth park were the animals roam free and finding a giraffee in your back yard is not news) and Hubby and I want to go on a herping trip and see what we find. Maybe if we both put our names down, Hustler, there may be a course sooner. Need the course before 17 Oct.

Again, nice Diamond back. Post a pic (or rap me on the knucles and point me in the direction of a discussion with a pic) of how an albino looks. Hate being curious.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rattlesnakes (Crotalus sp.)