Collecting Caridina nilotica

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Collecting Caridina nilotica

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi guys

Please do not shoot me down for posting this. I know EXOTIC freshwater inverts are illegal, thus I am after indigenous.

I am looking for rivers, streams or dams where I can collect some Caridina nilotica. Are there any places in Gauteng? Literature is sparce and I cannot get any accurate localities. Even localities in KZN would be appreciated.

I want a few for my tropical fishtank. I have researched their requirements and know exactly what I am letting myself in for and I will be able to care for them.

If anyone has any reliable info, I would greatly appreciate it.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Collecting Caridina nilotica

Postby _THEO_ » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 pm

I know some spots in Nelspruit, if you are really desperate.
I gues you could find them along most cool,clean and relatively fast flowing streams with grass or reeds along the banks.
They are very easy to catch, just drag a small aquarium net up the reeds and you should get quite a couple...
You never know everything.....
You can learn from everyone....
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby John Rees » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Westley
I know nothing about shrimps but we have for years found heaps of what I think may be Caridina nilotica in many streams around Pietermaritzburg. We even netted them in the "crystal" waters of the Duzi river at Camps Drift, which is a real surprise. I have had them happily living and breeding in our aquarium for years. Very useful in cleaning up dead fish!
What are you wanting them for?
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm not sure if they the same ones but I've seen what looks like those up in the streams on Table Mountain.

John Rees wrote:What are you wanting them for?

westley wrote:I want a few for my tropical fishtank.
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby John Rees » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Dang! I can't read! Sorry!
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanx for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

I really hope I can get hold of some.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:19 am

John, regarding their breeding, do they simply breed on their own if the temps are correct or do you intervene with some changes in temps of chemistry?

I want to collect about 10 or 15 of them just as bottom feeders for my tank.

Other people reading thiswho want to get soem of these awesome inverts, please note that these are not particularly entertaining animals and will spend most of their time hiding so if you want something to look at, get some fish.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sico » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Westley I have collected them numerous times in the Vaal river system for my fishtank. They do quite well until the fish realise they are tasty ;-). Just go down to the banks at night with a torch and a fine net and you should be able to collect them. I found Three rivers through to Barrage was a pretty productive area.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanx a lot Sico.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby John Rees » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Sorry Westley I have been off the site for a while. I have found that mine do really well in a community tank and at times I have had to remove some when their numbers get too high. I do nothing special except keep a mature tank and do the usual. I have a lot of plants so there is lots of retreats for them They swim all over the place so feed at all levels, not just the bottom. I have noticed laterly that having put a couple of Clown Loaches in the tank, I seem to have a lot fewer shrimp. Coincidence? Not sure.
John Rees
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dwildef » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:56 pm

They can be found in the reeds in the Vaal river in the Sasolburg area.
dwildef
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Invertebrates