Uroplectes triangulifer(bark scorpion) had Babies

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Uroplectes triangulifer(bark scorpion) had Babies

Postby Vandiliz3r » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Good Day All

Well lets start with a small intro on how i came across my little friend.. I just got back from Honeymoon in November when we open a kombuis Cupboard and found him lying there almost dead..
I then started reading on google and Came across this site where i found how to make her little habitat..

I then got it in to the little glass cage and started feeding it pin heads as i read up on the site at first i thought the Uroplectes triangulifer was still a baby seeing it is such a small species.

Went a way for a day (30 December 2012) and when we got back i got a HUGE fright seeing the little ones below her .... (Still giving birth)

I am little concerned on the eating patterns of the mother... I am afraid that the mother is going to start eating the babies as she has still not eaten for about 2 - 3 weeks max..
I have also got a container to separate the babies from the mother as soon as they are ready..

The babies are still on the 1st insta, i am not sure how long before they go into the 2nd insta...

I have a idea what to feed them but not sure when to start feeding them and when to separate them from the mother?

Can someone please give me a heads up on how i should tackle the situation?

Kind Regards
Werner
Vandiliz3r
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Uroplectes triangulifer(bark scorpion) had Babies

Postby shadowfoot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:46 pm

They will climb onto the mother's back when she has finished giving birth, they will then molt to 2nd instar, this can take anything from a few days to two weeks. After another few days they will climb off and continue to harden they new exoskeleton. You can start feeding them a week after they have climbed off. A prey item half the size of their bodies can be given.
The mother won't have to eat while the babies are still on her back. She will only start eating the babies if she is overly stressed. She will have had about 4 months to build up their food supply so she won't starve.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby XaXas » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Yo
By what time should they be separated from the mother? Vandil said 2nd Instar, I said 3rd. :P
Failure teaches success
XaXas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vandiliz3r » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 pm

Shurrup Xaxas..... :P

So what can i start feeding the babies they are really small and pinhead crickets are about the same size or larger...

Heard from a spider breader i can feed them raw chicken chopped up???

I would really appreciate any in put it has been 3 and a half weeks since birth and i belive they should start eating by now?
Vandiliz3r
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Invertebrates