Cerambycidae spp

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Cerambycidae spp

Postby Mehelya » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

Well, my plans for some field herping were delayed by massive rains, electrical storms, and cleaning cages and animals...

But I did managed to get one new creature to photograph last night. This chap was quite large, and is the first time I've seen a Long-Horn Beetle of this size. Total length was about 5-6cm...

No idea on the actual species etc, but know that it's a Long-Horn Beetle, so if anyone would like to gander at the proper identification, feel free!

This one had a major pair of chompers on him/her, as you can see in the last photo... And I wasn't sure whether it was willing to use them or not... :oops: I am honestly not the biggest "bug" fan, or anything that has too many legs/arms...

Well, Enjoy! :D
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cerambycidae spp

Postby Primogen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:26 am

I have had a few in my house aswell, actually still do he's busy crawling around the bathroom.
Looks exactly the same as yours.
I would also like to know the exact species if anyone can help.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mehelya » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Primogen, did some searching, and seems to be Macrotoma palmata, or the Large Brown Longhorn. May be wrong though...
Rian
If I wasn't me, then I'd probably be someone else...
Forceps. Not fingers...
Yes, it probably will bite you if you carry on that way...
Mehelya
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Mehelya, I did some digging as well and also seem to think its Macrotoma palmata.
I have an Acacia tree in the garden where they seem to gather.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Aww man. I loved these guys when I was in Limpopo. Went outside the one night and found two of them fighting and making a hell of a noise. Awesome little things. I've been trying to get these for ages but we don't have any local species :|
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Invertebrates