Invertebrates and Amphibians Wholesale

Here you can share your experiences with us. Be it Spiders, Scorpions, Roaches, they belong here.

View Gallery

Invertebrates and Amphibians Wholesale

Postby SaInvertebrates » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Hey All

I have received all my import permits licences etc... I have accumulated price lists from all over South America, North Africa and Europe and intend on importing and supplying the general public. (NO ILLEGAL IMPORTS!) please could you guys comment and post as to what inverts and amphibians you're looking for so that I can figure out the ins and outs of various items.

I will soon have a website up and running with all information on orders, collection, deliveries, species, prices and payment as well as various housing information and etc...

If you'd all be as kind as to let me know what interests you so that I can compile my list and finish the website! Further details will be posted in a few months to come!

Please note that due to limitations of imports there is much that cannot be brought into the country and the lists may be subject to change.

The main items on the list will include:
-Frogs
-Centipedes
-Various Tarantulas
-Scorpions
-Snails

Thanks!
“The earth has music for those who listen.” ― George Santayana
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Invertebrates and Amphibians Wholesale

Postby Ales » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Is it not true that all exotic amphibians are illegal to keep in South Africa?
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SaInvertebrates » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:25 am

not at all
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SaInvertebrates » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:28 am

Ales wrote:Is it not true that all exotic amphibians are illegal to keep in South Africa?

not at all
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:16 am

Actually...read the last line.

This is country-wide.

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby SaInvertebrates » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:43 am

Unless a permit is granted. Ill forward a link this afternoon that explains this in more detail.
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 am

From what I understand, it is legal/permitted to own exotic amphibians, but you may not breed, transport or sell them.

I realize that is a tad tricky to achieve as how can you keep exotic amphibians if there is no source of them, but that is just the legislation.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:21 am

SaInvertebrates wrote:I have received all my import permits licences etc...

Where are you based and which province gave you these permits?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Do you know you have to get a permit from "plant and pest control" at the department of Agriculture or else they will euthanase your entire shipment at the airport. The permit from the Nature Conservation body is not enough. You also need a permit from the State vet for the amphibians and they will inspect where they are being quarantined. You require three permits per shipment from three different departments.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Interesting...
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby SaInvertebrates » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Westley Price wrote:From what I understand, it is legal/permitted to own exotic amphibians, but you may not breed, transport or sell them.

I realize that is a tad tricky to achieve as how can you keep exotic amphibians if there is no source of them, but that is just the legislation.

You are correct yes. But, It is legal to breed sell and transport as long as you receive a permit to do so.
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SaInvertebrates » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Bushviper wrote:Do you know you have to get a permit from "plant and pest control" at the department of Agriculture or else they will euthanase your entire shipment at the airport. The permit from the Nature Conservation body is not enough. You also need a permit from the State vet for the amphibians and they will inspect where they are being quarantined. You require three permits per shipment from three different departments.

I am well aware of this, yes. I've been through the entire process over and over again. Ive been in the industry for many years now.
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SaInvertebrates » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Mitton wrote:
SaInvertebrates wrote:I have received all my import permits licences etc...

Where are you based and which province gave you these permits?

Gauteng.
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Another sore point for me is that for every new species currently not in the country, I thought that EIA had to be completed?

You cannot simply bring new species in without these costly studies being done.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby SaInvertebrates » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:43 pm

According to basic import laws, the Minister may, by notice in the Gazette, prescribe that no goods of a specified class or kind, or no goods other than goods of a specified class or kind may be (a) imported into the Republic; or (b) imported into the Republic, except under the authority of, and in accordance with the conditions stated in a permit issued by the Commission. (The Commission has the final say in what can be imported or not and have the authority to approve import permits with reason.)

In terms of the Animal Diseases Act (Act No. 35 of 1984), and the Meat Safety Act (Act No. 40 of 2000), all South African citizens may import animals and/or animal-derived products, which are considered to be safe, into South Africa. Importation is subject to compliance with the relevant import requirements, as stipulated on the veterinary import permit.

Each consignment of animal and/or animal products for importation into South Africa must be accompanied by:
- An original veterinary import permit, issued by the National Directorate Veterinary Services
- An original health certificate, duly completed in English and in accordance with the requirements of the import permit, and signed by the competent veterinary authority of the exporting country.

As for what "bushviper" stated earlier, In cases where quarantine is needed (As is the case with amphibians) the State Vet is contacted upon the arrival of the shipment in order to clear the shipment. It cannot be released without the permission of the state vet once all permits and health certificates etc... are fully checked. This process goes through Agriculture, the department of Health and Safety as well as Nature Conservation.

As for the transportation of animals country wide, they have to be accompanied by health certificates and transport permits.

The tricky part comes in where you need to gain permission from the commission in order to get them to "legalize" amphibians. This is often the case with Government tenders (e.g. Importing for Zoo's etc...) This can be done by the public but is a very lengthy process.
SaInvertebrates
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Invertebrates